Covidien is a leading global healthcare products company that creates innovative medical solutions for better patient outcomes and delivers value through clinical leadership and excellence. Covidien manufactures, distributes and services a diverse range of industry-leading product lines in three segments: Medical Devices, Pharmaceuticals and Medical Supplies. With 2012 revenue of $11.9 billion, Covidien has 43,000 employees worldwide in 70 countries, and its products are sold in over 140 countries. Whatever your specialty or ambitions, you can make a difference at Covidien – both in the lives of others and your career.
We are an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
Working directly with the Sr. Tradeshow Planner, the Associate Conference and Event Specialist supports the tactical planning, execution and follow-up surrounding Respiratory & Monitoring Solution’s national and regional tradeshows, ancillary events and related activities. This function plays a key role in ensuring that the tactical elements of the event plan are completed on time, on target and on budget. As a liaison to vendors, a key point of contact for employee attendees, and an R&MS ambassador to customers, this function touches virtually every area of the event planning and execution process and, as such, provides critical support to the Sr. Tradeshow Planner in meeting the demands of a densely populated event schedule with limited staff.
- Provides pre-event planning support for national and regional tradeshows by performing, documenting/tracking and reporting on the status of the following:
- Updating the convention calendar including all metrics
- Update and close budget tracking forms for each event or tradeshow
- Creating show folders
- Ordering rental equipment, literature, and product samples and shipping to exhibit house.
- Working with exhibit house to prepare consolidated shipping of exhibit booth, glass model, demo products.
- Booking event space, manage group housing, flights, scheduling ancillary events, and ordering food and beverage for employee and customer events.
- Coordinating the development of customer event invitations with Marketing Communications.
- Researching and compiling information on local restaurants, etc.
- Ordering and securing deposits for third-party services (exhibit space, hotel room block, meeting space, food and beverage, sponsorships, etc.).
- Providing employees with pertinent event information and dates via email alerts/newsletters.
- Tracking and managing exhibit logistics, including the schedule of events, employee badges and registration, and hotel accommodations.
- Drives the implementation of and continues on going coordination of the marketing initiatives to build relationships between R&MS professionals and clinician customers.
- Provide on-site support for approximately ten (10) national shows per year, including the following:
- Coordinating setup and teardown with I&D vendor.
- Meeting with hotel management and caterer(s).
- Inspecting meeting space for appropriate set-up.
- Ensuring delivery of services and providing payment to third parties, as required (e.g., electric, florist).
- Providing reception/greeter support in booth during exhibit hours as well as at registration for sponsored educational symposia.
- Supporting on-site execution of customer events/meetings at national tradeshows.
- Providing staff and customers with information on local restaurants and assisting with reservations.
- Distribute printed generated leads immediately after the completion of shows and electronic leads within 3 business days.
- Provide tactical support for approximately 180 regional shows attended annually. This includes monitoring and fulfilling tabletop requests, ordering requested literature, tracking shipments and performing timely follow-up and problem resolution on non-delivered or missing exhibits prior to the event set-up date.
- Maintain small exhibit inventory (20) and ordering system. Includes the inspection of all exhibit elements – i.e., graphics, table drape, header and exhibit – to ensure the integrity of their condition in preparation for the next event. Serve as key liaison with exhibit house for tabletops. Maintain the tabletop schedule to ensure availability and tracking as well as the scheduling of needed maintenance or repairs. Provide monthly report on utilization of tabletops.
- Ensures accuracy and appropriate division of charges to the correct cost center for all invoices. Provide invoices and credit card back-up documents for monthly reconciliation, approvals and payments. Perform prompt follow-up on items requiring additional information, clarification or documentation.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong organizational and planning skills - Must be able to track, manage and meet multiple priorities and deadlines while being adaptable in a fast-paced, changing environment. Attention to detail and accuracy is critical in this deadline-driven role.
- Proficiency with the MicroSoft® Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel) - Must be able to create and maintain project workplans and show documents, track budgets and process vendor payments.
- Process orientation – must be able to learn and adhere to internal policies and processes for tradeshow production, from budget approvals and invoice processing to legal and regulatory review.
- Strong communication/interpersonal skills – Must be able to write and speak clearly and professionally to multiple audiences, including cross-organizational internal teams (e.g., sales, marketing and product management) and executives, vendors, representatives from industry associations and customers throughout the tradeshow process, from planning to on-site execution to follow-up.
- Negotiation skills – Must be able to negotiate pricing, deadlines and deliverables with internal and external parties.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications or Advertising, or comparable experience in a related field.
- Minimum of two years experience in event planning/tradeshow coordination.
- Marketing/sales support experience strongly preferred.
- Experience in medical device, pharmaceutical or other related industry desired.
- Role requires knowledge of budget management and tracking.
Job descriptions change from time to time. The Company retains the right at its sole discretion to modify, delete, or add to any of the information contained in this document.
- Approximately 15% travel, including domestic travel to support an average of ten (10) national tradeshows, a national sales meeting and product training annually.