Exhibits culinary talents by personally performing tasks while leading the banquet food preparation staff and managing all food related catering functions. Accountable for coordinating menus, purchasing, scheduling, food preparation and plating for catering events. The individual is responsible for delivering a consistent, high quality product with an appetizing presentation. Works to continually improve guest and employee satisfaction while maintaining the operating budget. Must ensure sanitation and food standards are achieved.
Education and Experience
High school diploma or GED; 4 years experience in the culinary, food and beverage, or related professional area.
2-year degree from an accredited university in Culinary Arts, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 2 years experience in the culinary, food and beverage, or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Leading Banquet Culinary Teams
Supervises and coordinates activities of cooks and workers engaged in food preparation for property banquets and events.
Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
Ensuring Culinary Standards and Responsibilities are Met for Banquet Events
- Supervises and manages employees. Managing all day-to-day operations. Understanding employee positions well enough to perform duties in employees' absence.
- Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
- Serves as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
- Ensures and maintains the productivity level of employees.
- Supervises banquet kitchen shift operations.
- Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with employees and ensures employees do the same within the team.
- Leads shifts while personally preparing food items and executing requests based on required specifications.
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
- Estimates daily Banquet Event Order production needs.
- Coordinates banquet production and plating with the Executive Chef, Sous Chef and Banquet Maitre'd.
- Recognizes superior quality products, presentations and flavor.
- Plans and manages food quantities and plating requirements for all banquet functions.
- Maintains food preparation handling and correct storage standards.
- Ensures compliance with all Food & Beverage policies, standards and procedures.
- Assists the Executive Chef and Purchasing Manager with banquet menu planning and food purchasing.
- Develops banquet, seasonal and specialty menus for catering customers.
- Knows and implements brand's Safety Standards.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Follows proper handling and right temperature of all food products.
- Prepares and cooks foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
- Checks the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
- Assists in determining how food should be presented and creates decorative food displays.
Maintaining Culinary Goals Associated with Banquet Events
- Provides services that are above and beyond for customer satisfaction and retention.
- Manages day-to-day operations, ensuring the quality, standards and meeting the expectations of the customers on a daily basis.
- Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand guest needs, providing guidance, feedback, and individual coaching when needed.
- Strives to improve service performance.
- Sets a positive example for guest relations.
- Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service.
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities
- Sets and supports achievement of goals including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
- Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
- Understands the impact of departments operation on the overall property financial goals and objectives and manages to achieve or exceed budgeted goals.
- Supports procedures for food & beverage portion and waste controls.
- Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaching, mentoring, or otherwise helping others to improve their knowledge or skills.
- Identifies the educational needs of others, developing formal educational or training programs or classes, and teaching or instructing others.
- Participates in employee progress discipline procedures.
- Participates in training staff on menu items including ingredients, preparation methods and unique tastes.
- Reviews staffing levels to ensure that guest service, operational needs and financial objectives are met.
- Ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to Standard and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs) and support the Peer Review Process.
- Assists as needed in the interviewing and hiring of employee team members with appropriate skills.
- Provides information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
- Analyzes information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Attends daily Banquet Event meetings to review culinary requirements.
- Attends and participates in all pertinent meetings.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture.
Feb 6, 2013, 10:25:06 AM
Marriott International, Inc - 18 months ago
Marriott International, Inc., is a leading lodging and hospitality company that develops, operates, and franchises hotels, corporate housing...