Performs registrations of patients before or at the time of service at the medical center. Obtains accurate demographic and insurance information, signatures on required documents and secures insurance authorization or pre-certification. Prepares and supplies patient data to various medical center departments.
Collection of data:
• Secures necessary information during the pre-admission or registration process, calling patients if necessary to obtain insurance information.
• May need to go to patient’s bedside to obtain information after arrival.
• Enters all information accurately into computer system.
• Reviews and verifies patient’s demographic and insurance coverage, authorization requirements.
• Contacts patient’s insurance company to identify eligibility and to verify that approval has been obtained.
• Verifies workers’ compensation cases with employers and secures appropriate billing information.
• Gather and appropriately deliver generated admission paperwork, signed physician order and other related necessary paperwork to the appropriate medical center location.
• Assembles admission charts daily ensuring proper paperwork for scheduled patients.
• Completes Medicare questionnaires on all Medicare patients.
• Obtains necessary signatures for treatment consent, HIPPA acknowledgement, IM Message, pastoral visit and newspaper publish release, release of information form and other documents as appropriate.
• Provides Patient Rights and Responsibilities, Privacy Notices, Financial Assistance and billing information to all patients.
• Collects self-pay funds on cosmetic surgeries, per-visit co-pays and others as required.
• Participates in quality improvement by correcting any registration mistakes upon receipt of daily error reports.
• Perform cash, check and credit card transactions.
• Ensure the security of all cash, check and credit card transactions.
• Interviews patients and obtains necessary signatures for treatment consent, pastoral visit, and newspaper publish release.
• Applies patient identification armbands, ensuring accuracy of information.
• Work with Bed management coordinator to obtain appropriate bed for patient’s admission type.
• Maintains ongoing communication with medical staff and utilization review staff regarding the need for second opinion and completion of insurance and/or governmental guidelines.
• Contacts physician’s offices to obtain missing diagnosis codes or to inform them of insurance company need for clinical information.
• Notifies Business Office personnel of any admissions for cosmetic surgery or any other self-paying admissions.
• Refers all patients requesting additional information to an account representative.
• Answers questions from patients, hospital staff and the general public regarding admitting procedures, medical center regulations and services, provides directions to other areas within the medical center and, when appropriate, refers inquiries to another person or department.
• Report any observed or suspected deviation from medical center policies or from Medicare, Medicaid, or other insurance regulations immediately to the department Director or the medical center’s chief compliance officer.
• Transports patients needing immediate assistance to the appropriate area.
• Acts as a resource to medical center volunteer staff.
• Performs other assigned duties.
• Maintains regular and reliable attendance.
• New employees must pass test before functioning independently.
• Registration accuracy to be maintained at an average of 95% or higher after one year of service. During the first six months of employment the average needs to be 93% or higher.
• Basic knowledge of insurance companies and contracts.
• High school diploma or GED.
• Present a professional demeanor.
• Excellent skills in written and verbal communication.
• Basic computer keyboard skills.
• Minimum of 6 months clerical office experience.
• Considerable knowledge of the UB92 and CMS1500 billing forms.
• Considerable knowledge of credit and collection procedures and methodology.
• Considerable knowledge of Iowa Code pertaining to bill collection and of the Federal fair debt collection act.
• Considerable knowledge of Federal and State regulatory requirements for billing accounts receivable.
• Considerable knowledge of Medicare, Medicaid, and other insurance carriers billing requirements.
• Excellent customer service skills.
• Detail orientated.
• Analyze and interpret information to make decisions within scope of job functions with minimal supervision.
Mary Greeley Medical Center - 14 months ago