Duties & Responsibilities: The Georgia Emergency Management Agency/Homeland Security (GEMA/HS) is the lead state agency for coordination of emergency and disaster response activities.
This working level Emergency Management Specialist provides training, technical assistance and incident response pertaining to a variety of school safety and emergency management issues to local emergency management, public safety, and education professionals.
The assigned geographic area of primary responsibility for this position is North Georgia (32 Georgia counties in North Georgia (Area encompasses counties from the Tennessee state line south along the Alabama state line to Haralson County, across the southern boarders of Bartow, Cherokee, Forsyth and Hall Counties, SE along the southern boarders of Jackson and Clarke Counties East to the South Carolina state line along the southern borders of Madison and Elbert Counties, and up the South Carolina state line to the Tennessee state line). This geographic area includes 40 public school systems (Including Cave Springs School for the Deaf and 423 individual public school buildings) and 115 private schools serving over 300,500 K-12 students. There are four technical college campuses and five University System of Georgia campuses (including UGA in Athens) in GEMA School Safety Area A.
This Emergency Management Specialist provides a variety of complex on-scene assistance, administrative, and operational support functions in support of local governments and their respective emergency management agencies during times of disaster. He/she regularly fulfills public speaking engagements and gives media interviews. The scope of work includes the designated geographic region of Georgia, but support may be required anywhere in the state and in some cases other states.
Specific responsibilities include: • Facilitation of school emergency operations planning process for local communities; presentation of training programs relating to school safety and crisis response; • Conducting site surveys of educational facilities; • Assisting with and evaluating emergency drills and exercises; • Serving as an incident responder to provide support to local school systems, emergency management and public safety agencies as needed; • Attending meetings, conferences, and training sessions conducted by local, state, and federal agencies.
GEMA Emergency Management Specialists work closely with GEMA Emergency Management Field Coordinators in responding to emergencies/disasters to provide support and must be cross-trained to fulfill major duties of Emergency Management Field Coordinators during crisis situations.
Minimum Training & Experience: Completion of high school diploma or GED AND Two years of experience in emergency
management OR Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university AND Two years of experience in public health, emergency management, or a closely related field
Agency Specific Qualifications and/or Preferred Qualifications: AGENCY SPECIFIC QUALIFICATIONS:
For the purposes of this announcement "closely related field" is defined as: law enforcement, fire services, or other public safety / emergency response experience.
POSITION SPECIFIC MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Ability to travel overnight, statewide and regionally, as dictated by business needs of the position
- Ability to provide service coverage outside of normal business hours as dictated by business needs of the position
- Ability to respond to work-related contact on short notice as dictated by business needs of the position
- Valid Georgia Driver's license.
The successful candidate will demonstrate a high level of competency in the following areas:
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Emergency Management, Criminal Justice, Education or other field appropriate to the position
- Experience in the coordination and delivery of training
- Experience in the development of training programs
- Knowledge of Georgia's public education system
- Experience in the development and review of emergency management or public safety plans or policy
- P.O.S.T. certified instructor
- Intermediate level skill in the use of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Lotus Notes computer application software
Additional Information: The selected candidate will be required to pass a background investigation as a condition of employment. Items that may be examined in a background check include but are not limited to: credit records, criminal records, education records, past employers, military records, state licensing/certification records, driving records, vehicle registration.
- Ability to effectively communicate thoughts, ideas and facts orally
- Skill in making dynamic oral presentations using tone, inflection, and body language for increased impact
- Ability to make complex ideas easy to understand
- Ability to read, comprehend, and apply advanced written materials for practical business purposes (e.g. laws, regulations and policies)
- Ability to write clearly and concisely using correct spelling and grammar
- Skill in evaluating options and deciding on the best course of action to meet objectives
- Ability to prioritize tasks with respect to importance and time available
- Skill in realistically estimating time to complete projects
- Commitment to providing excellent customer service to internal and external customers
- Ability to analyze a customer's request, evaluate issues, determine the correct course of action, and follow through to ensure customer satisfaction
You may also use the comments section to provide any other job related information you wish us to consider in evaluating your qualifications for this position.
Please submit completed online applications, as screening may begin before the end of the recruitment period.
Due to the volume of applications received by this office, we are unable to provide information on application status by phone or email. Applicants who are selected for an interview will be contacted to arrange an appointment. Applicants who are not selected for interviews will not receive notification.
Please list the computer applications you use and your level of skill in each program in the comments section of the on-line application.
State of Georgia - 12 months ago
Georgia on my Mind is not just the state song -- it's the Governor's job description. Consisting of the Governor, his Cabinet,...