The Contracts Counsel position will help enhance, build, implement and institutionalize the Company’s contract review and tracking process. He/she will also be responsible for the ongoing evolution of that process, including best practices and process improvements.
• Review, negotiate and coordinate commercial contracts such as product, services and consulting agreements with different business units (such as IT, Stores, Distribution Centers, Finance, HR, Buying Office and other product, service and consulting agreements). Develop and maintain consistently-applicable, sustainable processes for contract development, negotiation, review, approval, tracking and monitoring.
• Develop and maintain quality control processes for contracts and other legal documents to ensure proper review and monitoring, as well as tracking/calendaring of contract lifecycles (e.g., renewal/notice dates/deadlines) and retention in Legal’s databases; develop, implement and maintain improved processes regarding contract management and use of technology and tools.
• Develop and maintain best practices regarding the Company’s contracts and business transactions to reduce exposure to poor contracts, provisions and arrangements, and overall more advantageous contracts. This includes communicating and training on contract templates, required/preferred language and provisions, guidance to business stakeholders early in the contract development process, and negotiation advice and business feedback. This position will also partner closely with the Strategic Sourcing Department to identify broader procurement opportunities, strategies and processes.
• Meet regularly with business partners within and outside the Legal Department to identify opportunities for business process improvements, productivity enhancements, and cost efficiencies regarding contract negotiations and processes.
• Assist with department projects as requested.
• Technical Skills
• Analysis and Judgment
• Customer Service
• Process Improvement
• Credibility and Trust
• Organizational Skills
QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
• Licensed CA attorney
• 4+ years of contract or related legal work in a law firm or in-house
• Strong project management and process oversight skills
• Strong analytical skills, organization and attention to detail
• Ability to multi-task, prioritize, work independently and maintain high level of focus
• Executive presence and strong interpersonal skills required to effectively communicate with business units at all levels within the organization
• Proficiency with MS Office Suite and preferably, contract monitoring database software
• Retail organizational knowledge
• Financial acumen
• Experience with retail agreements and transactions
Ross Stores - 18 months ago
Our customers love a great deal. That makes our mission simple: to provide exciting bargains, every day, in every store. It takes an...