114 active jobs
Please note that this posting has specific instructions for the submission of application materials which are outlined on our website at
, and in the APPLICATION PROCESS section below. Failure to submit the required documents may result in the application not being considered.
The University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries seeks a creative and service-oriented Music Librarian. The Music Librarian is a tenure track library faculty position which will provide reference assistance, instruction, outreach and collection management to support the faculty and student populations and the academic programs associated with the UF School of Music. The Music Librarian will work collaboratively with other members of the Architecture & Fine Arts Library faculty and staff to plan and deliver services to the wider audience served by that library, and to the University community.
The library encourages staff participation in reaching management decisions and consequently the Music Librarian will serve on various committees and teams. To support all students and faculty and foster excellence in a diverse and global society, the Music Librarian will be expected to include individuals of diverse backgrounds, experiences, races, ethnicities, genders, and perspectives in work activities. The Music Librarian will pursue professional development opportunities, including research, publication, and professional service activities in order to meet library-wide criteria for tenure and promotion.
- Serves as primary liaison between the Libraries and the School of Music administration, faculty and students, taking initiative to identify and meet their resource and service expectations and to facilitate ongoing communication regarding library resources and services
- Develops the Music collections in a systematic and balanced manner, selecting both current and retrospective materials to support the curricular and research needs of the university community
- Manages the operations and staff (2.0 FTE staff + student assistants) of the Music Library until the collection becomes integrated with the Architecture & Fine Arts (AFA) Library
- Contributes to the efficient management of the Architecture & Fine Arts Library’s facilities, public service programs, and technical functions
- Provides both general and specialized reference and instructional services
- Creates instructional materials, including online research guides
- Contributes to the Libraries, the University, and the profession through substantive involvement in scholarship and service activities
- Works in concert with colleagues in the Smathers Libraries to plan and facilitate the anticipated move and integration of materials and equipment from the current Music Library into the Architecture & Fine Arts Library and Library West.
- Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited institution or equivalent library degree
- Bachelor’s degree with a major in music, or substantial coursework in music; or 5 years of directly relevant professional experience
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience for appointment as Assistant University Librarian
- Minimum 8 years of relevant experience required for appointment as Associate University Librarian
- Broad knowledge of music literature and research sources
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with faculty, students, administrators and the general public
- Initiative, flexibility, and the ability to adapt and work creatively in a complex, rapidly changing academic environment
- Strong potential for meeting the requirements of tenure and promotion (outlined at
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Graduate degree in music or related discipline
- Experience working in a branch or departmental library
- Academic library experience with collection development, public services and/or technical services
- Experience or expertise in the development and delivery of research instruction
- Supervisory experience
- Record of including individuals of diverse backgrounds, experiences, races, ethnicities, genders, and perspectives in research, teaching, service and other work
The University of Florida is an equal opportunity employer and is strongly committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. As part of the application process, applicants are invited to complete an on-line confidential and voluntary demographic self-disclosure form which can be found at:
. This information is collected by the University of Florida’s Faculty Development Office to track applicant trends and is in no way considered by the George A. Smathers Libraries in the selection process.
Please submit application materials via e-mail. Send, as attachments (MS-Word and PDF format preferred), a cover letter detailing your interest in and qualifications for this position; a written statement discussing the special nature of an academic music library, including emerging issues of collection management and services (250 words); your current resume and a list of three references including their address, telephone and email information. Apply by July 30, 2012 (applications will be reviewed as received). Send all required application materials to Tina Pruitt, Smathers Libraries Human Resources Office, at:
InsideHigherEd.com - 22 months ago