General Laborers maintain highly specialized railway maintenance equipment that is contracted to major railroads throughout North America. Operation of the equipment may also be required in addition to the maintenance.
Some required duties include, but not limited to, checking gauges and readings, oil and fluid changes, cleaning the machine, and basic to advanced mechanical repairs.
As a new hire, you can expect to earn between $35,000 to $45,000 your first year.
- THIS POSITION STARTS AT $9.00 PER HOUR FOR NEW HIRES
The General Laborer position is entry-level and desirable candidates are required to possess the following:
- Time and a half is paid after 40 hours per week. Typical work hours are 12-14 hours per day and 70-75 hours per week. Hours may be longer or shorter depending on operational needs.
- There is NO per diem for this position. Employees are responsible for all personal expenses including, but not limited to, food, phone, laundry. Loram does pay for hotel/motel rooms and all work-related travel to and from the job site (flights, buses, etc.).
REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL CANDIDATES
- Ability to travel North America 100% of the time. Average travel assignments last 6 to 12 weeks in duration before returning home for a 2 week unpaid time-off period. The job will not be based near your place of residence and relocation is not required or expected.
- Mechanical ability and aptitude
- A comfort level on/around heavy moving equipment/large machinery
- High School Diploma and/or GED
- Pass a pre-employment drug/alcohol drug test (paid by Loram)
- Pass e-RAILSAFE pre-employment background check (no felony convictions or probation or jail-time associated with a felony in the past 7 years, no outstanding warrants, and cannot have a serious criminal history)
- Pass a motor vehicle check and be able to meet Loram’s Driving Policy (no major driving offenses within the last 2 years)
- Pass a mechanical aptitude test
- Pass a pre-placement physical (paid by Loram)
- Successfully complete Loram’s 5 day paid new hire training, including a written safety exam
Candidates are preferred to possess the following:
MORE JOB DETAILS
- Welding, hydraulic, diesel mechanic, and/or electrical skills/education/training in addition to all the requirements listed above
- After completing your assignment you will receive a scheduled two-week unpaid leave
- Loram provides all work related transportation including transportation to and from your assignment for scheduled time off
- Loram provides paid hotel/motel accommodations while you are on assignment
Medical Insurance/Dental Insurance/Prescription Drug Coverage/Life Insurance/AD&D Insurance/401(k) with 150% match/Company Paid: ST & LT Disability/Vacation/Training
Loram is an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V
LORAM - 2 years ago