Industrial Safety Specialist – Sumter, SC
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for ensuring that Thompson’s safety programs and performance meet or exceed OSHA, MSHA and other State and Federal requirements; educating, coaching employees in those programs to enable Thompson to become the recognized leader in both safety and quality of all contractors in the Southeast.
JOB DUTIES :
· Enforces all OSHA, and all applicable federal and state regulations.
· Investigates incidents and reported violations of environmental health rules, policies and regulations.
· Ensures prompt filing of all recordable workers' compensation claims and first aids. Complete Incident Reports and forwards to Human Resources for filing.
· Observes job performance and searches for any possible site hazards to ensure that Thompson complies with all regulatory guidelines (OSHA, MSHA, EPA, etc) and provides direction to management and employees for immediate actions if we are out of compliance.
· Perform random daily inspections to Identify conditions which could produce safety incidents and communicates to operation management so that conditions can be eliminated. Also communicates this to peer Safety Managers so that information is shared between areas.
· Integral member of team that conducts post incident investigations and makes recommendations to prevent incident from reoccurring. Assists operation management on incident documentation.
· Communicates with injured employee and accompanies the employee to medical treatment to ensure that employee is taken care of and the physician understands employees duties and explanation of our light duty policy
· Plans, implements and coordinates programs to reduce or eliminate occupational injuries, illnesses or deaths and financial losses.
· Assists in development of Corporate and Division Standard Operating Procedures, policies and procedures for safety.
· Maintains data for various safety statistics such as first aids, recordables; graph and trend by type and area, etc.
· Orient service employees to plant safety requirements.
· Provide onsite safety coverage during shutdown work which may require working split-shifts, night shifts and extended hours.
· Conducts training on safety, new employee orientation, pulmonary function test and drug testing of employees as required.
· Have professional working relationship with Customer HSE representatives and management in the assigned area.
1) Bachelor's degree in Occupational Safety and health or related field preferred
2) Industrial Hygienist experience a plus
3) MSHA experience a plus
4) OSHA 501 general industry certification preferred
5) Current CSP certification preferred.
6) Knowledgeable of OSHA regulations
7) Good communication skills, oral and written
8) Good computer skills (Microsoft office products)
9) Previous experience in industrial/Construction safety
10) Prior experience or willing to train employees
11) Able to travel out of State
12) Valid driver’s license/good driving record
13) Good background check
1) No fear of heights
2) Able to work in outdoor environment in all conditions.
3) Must be able to climb stairs
4) Some night shifts required.
5) Overnight travel required
6) Be able to self manage.
Thompson Construction Group, Inc - 10 months ago