The Director of Community Relations directs the development and implementation of impacted community programs, communication plans, special events, and projects to improve the overall relationship between the Authority and its multi-facility host communities. This position also directs staff to achieve the department's mission, goals and objectives.
Essential Tasks of the Job:
Directs Strategic Plan for Community Agenda in coordination with Board Committee. Directs management overseeing relations with communities’ constituencies and conducts community outreach and communication programs related to Maritime, Aviation (BOS, ORH, BED), Economic Planning and Development and Capital Programs initiatives and operational plans.
1. First point of contact for the Authority with Community groups and responds to the general public's request for information, concerns, and complaints.
2. Leads community meetings and makes presentations to community organizations on Massport’s policies, plans and programs and other complex subjects.
3. Partners with community leaders to develop mutually acceptable solutions to issues of concern and arbitrates between community activists and Massport staff to diffuse contentious issues.
4. Ensures daily contact with key community opinion and decision makers to provide advice, exchange information, and report on project status.
5. Direct liaison with local officials and their staffs to resolve constituent questions/concerns/ complaints.
6. Directs the design and coordinates special community projects’ team activities.
Consults with the CEO/Executive Director on the best course of action regarding the coordination and implementation of public policy issues affecting Massport Operations and the Community.
1. Observes issues through ongoing contact and information exchange with local officials, community leaders and other decision makers as well as interest groups who are relevant to Massport.
Develops Massport policies, procedures, programs and plans as related to Community issues.
1. Communicates a comprehensive understanding of Massport’s current policies, projects, plans, and business programs to internal/external stakeholders.
2. Directs internal and external issues that may affect Massport’s ability to accomplish its goals.
3. Directs sensitive and confidential discussions with senior staff and researches, develops, and presents recommendations used to guide the Authority’s policy and program implementation and responses to issues of Community concern.
Collaborates with other Massport departments to develop community conscious construction projects, operational and development plans, and public information campaigns.
1. Monitors public and private development plans affecting Massport facilities, tenant operations and impacted communities.
2. Participates in interdepartmental project teams to sensitize staff to the concerns of affected communities, recommends planning/operational improvements.
3. Designs and implements strategic communication plans for Maritime, Development and Aviation initiatives.
4. Works with Communications staff to develop consistency in public messages and responses to various media inquiries.
5. Participates in Request for Proposal/Request for Qualifications/Request for Information consultant selection committees.
Represents the Authority to governmental agencies, civic/social and environmental organizations, business community representatives, tenants, etc.
1. Participates in other government agencies’ planning and public meetings to obtain and/or share information for the agencies and the public’s mutual integration into their planning processes.
2. Interacts with and supports local chambers of commerce and business advocacy groups to strengthen the Authority’s relationships.
3. Participates in, and helps coordinate the logistical planning and the development of license agreement language related to externally sponsored special events on/in Massport facilities.
SECONDARY JOB TASKS:
Represents the Authority on community organization committees to assist with fundraising and other organization objectives and attends various events and functions related to local civic, social and business community organizations.
Coordinates certain-in-kind resource sharing efforts and mobilizes volunteer efforts to assist impacted community improvement campaigns.
Job Requirements and Qualifications:
EDUCATION LEVEL: Bachelor’s Degree required; MBA or advanced degree preferred.
EXPERIENCE IN RELATED FIELD: 7-10 years relevant community/governmental policy experience in a public, corporate, or consumer relations environment required.
1. Demonstrated ability to prioritize work and multi-task.
2. Strong oral and written communication skills.
3. Familiarity with public policy issues.
4. Comprehensive knowledge of Massport operations.
5. Demonstrated ability and initiative in moving complex projects from start to completion.
6. Ability to utilize and understand engineering plans and designs, charts, contracts, forms, legal documents, reports, spread sheets, research tools and resources, and databases.
7. Working knowledge of word processing, databases and spreadsheet applications.
8. Current and valid Driver’s License.
9. Ability to pass a Massport controlled substances test and background security checks.