To assist clients and perform a variety of clerical assignments related to; the calculation, receiving, and recording of documents and fees associated with real estate, mobile home, and personal property taxes; abatements; homesteads; and abstract, and Torrens properties; and to perform related duties as assigned. (This is the entry-level position in the Tax Clerk series. It differs from Tax Clerk 2 in that employees are gaining experience that would enable them to perform a greater volume of work, or work that, based on supervisory assessment, is more complex and requires more independent actions.)
To view or print a copy of the complete Ramsey County job (class) description for this job, go to: Job Descriptions . Once at this page, you can browse the alphabetical list of job descriptions.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Provide services and information to the public in person and by telephone in a variety of areas such as legal descriptions, taxes, market values, fee collection, abatements, divisions, homestead status, tax statement clarification, and real estate documents on Torrens or abstract property by referring to a variety of data sources such as computer applications, microfiche, and maps.
- Identify property based on legal descriptions provided and examine documents (e.g. Warranty Deeds, Quit Claim Deeds, Affidavits, Divorce Decrees, Final Decrees, Plats, Probate Decrees, Mechanic Liens, Abatement and Homestead Applications, etc.), including checking tax status, fee ownership, contract purchaser, and Certificate of Real Estate Value to determine acceptability and recordability.
- Determine what steps must be taken to correct and file previously rejected documents and make referrals to other offices that the customer may need to contact in order to achieve their objectives.
- Calculate and record real estate, mobile home, and personal property taxes due on delinquent full and prepaid taxes; calculate penalties on current tax, and penalties and interest on past due and delinquent tax, subject to any pending adjustments.
- Perform cashiering functions; handle money; and make change and issue receipts for filing and copying fees, delinquent tax payments, Confession of Judgment partial releases, special assessments, and other department fees.
- Assist the public in using computer and web applications and microfiche so that they can research information on their own.
- Prepare Confession of Judgment contracts by determining eligibility, length of contract and installment amounts; and by signing the contract as an agent of the County in order to file the contract in District Court; cancel contract if default occurs.
- Check and maintain department records of tax payments, prepayments, confession of judgments, bankruptcies, resolutions, divisions, tax petitions and transfer of property.
- Process real estate judgments by filing list with District Court, arranging for publication, and making all postings to the Judgment Book.
- Certify that there is no delinquent tax on all documents that convey ownership.
- Reconcile property ownership, tax payment, homestead, and valuation discrepancies by identifying errors, tracing errors to their sources, obtaining corrected data, and updating records.
- Notify mortgage companies of tax amounts on new loans for upcoming tax cycle and new Property Identification Numbers (PIN) due to division of property.
- Balance daily collections against control tape and computer applications; and prepare receipt report.
- Mail all mobile home and personal property tax bills, and all homestead cards to affected property owners in Ramsey County.
- Compute and post amounts received by mortgage companies electronicically; inspect for accuracy; reconcile errors; and distribute completed information to each company.
- Process overpayments and refunds by notifying taxpayers in writing of overpayment of taxes; request proof of payment and cross-referencing proof with computer and microfilm records; initiate the issuance of refund checks; and by making sure date, refund amount, and warrant numbers are recorded.
- Work with delinquent mobile home and personal property accounts to prepare for Revenue Recapture.
- Check Torrens property documents against the certificate of title and determines if the owner's or mortgagees duplicate certificate of title must be presented at the time of filing documents.
- Enter all pertinent information regarding document type and number, filing date and time, grantee/grantor, and fees collected into a computer; and assign new book, page and certificate numbers for Torrens property in order to maintain a permanent, accurate property ownership record that will be accessible to title companies, attorneys, realtor, and the general public.
- Perform searches on specific names that have Uniform Commercial Codes against them and make copies of the liens requested.
- Create and maintain records of personal property liens (Uniform Commercial Codes), and listings of all State and Federal Tax Liens filed in Ramsey County, by reviewing financial statements and liens for required information, determining if the proper chain of title is reflected, entering pertinent data on computer and in Federal or State Tax Lien books, recording releases, and filing microfilmed liens and releases.
- Prepare residue legal description pursuant to filed documents in accordance with present format by examining documents, certificates and plats.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Experience: Four years of clerical experience or equivalent.
Exam/Screening Process Information:
EXAMINATION: The examination will consist of the following sections with each section weighted as follows:
Training and Experience Rating ..............100%
NOTE: The Training & Experience Rating will be based on the supplemental questionnaire that you need to complete as part of your application. Not all applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will pass the training & experience rating. Please be sure to be complete in your answers and do not mark "see resume". Failure to clearly and completely outline your training & experience could adversely affect your examination score and rank on the eligible list for this classification. Criminal Background Checks: All employment offers are conditioned upon the applicant passing a criminal background check. Convictions are not an automatic bar to employment. Each case is considered on its individual merits and the type of work sought. However, making false statements or withholding information will cause you to be barred from appointment, or removed from employment.
For further information regarding this posting, please contact Jacquelyn.email@example.com or by phone at 651-266-2725.