The Authority is seeking a highly motivated Engineer I, Civil (Design).
This civil engineer I (design) is for Civil and Structural Design Section of Department of Engineering Service in DCWATER. This position is for general civil and structural design and analysis of new and rehabilitation of building and underground wet utilities. Competency of 3D finite element model analysis and AutoCAD is required.
Supervisor screens assignments for unusual or difficult problems and selects techniques and procedures to be applied on non-routine work. Receives close supervision on new aspects of assignments. May be assisted by other engineers or technicians.
- Performs civil engineering designs and calculations, and monitors projects or field operations under the supervision of a higher level engineer.
- Assists in the development of consultant engineer scope of work for project designs, plant operations, maintenance operations and other field operations.
- Assists in reviewing consultant designs and contractor submittals under the direct supervision of a higher level engineer.
- Observes and inspects construction projects to alert higher level engineers to problems requiring solution.
- Assists in preparing change orders for consultant and construction contracts under the direct supervision of higher level engineers.
- Performs other in-office and field entry-level civil engineering tasks as needed.
- Prepares reports and related correspondence.
- Complies with applicable safety rules and regulations.
- Performs other related duties and projects as assigned at the discretion of the immediate supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or other related engineering discipline from an ABET accredited curriculum, or an ABET equivalent; and zero (0) to one (1) year of experience preferably in a water and sewer utility or industrial environment.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
- Knowledge of engineering practices and principles.
- Skill in producing coherent, well organized, written material.
- Subject to indoor and/or outdoor environmental conditions that include exposure to extreme cold and/or hot temperatures.
- Subject to noise and to hazards from a variety of physical conditions.
- Subject to atmospheric conditions that affect the respiratory system or skin such as fumes, odors, dust, mists, gases or poor ventilation, or to exposure to oils or other chemicals on construction sites and at plant locations.