The Systems Engineer will be responsible for company-wide system solutions, including storage, operating systems and virtualization for the purpose of designing, building, and maintaining Drillinginfo’s client-facing and business applications. This role will coordinate with Product Group, Project Management Office, IT Infrastructure Architect, and peers to design and implement technology solutions. The Systems Engineer is also responsible for coordination with and handoff to the System Administrators on day-to-day operational maintenance, support, upgrades for enterprise systems. This position is based in Austin, TX and reports to the Director of IT.
Designing and building applications that drive the business
• Work with PMO and project team members to provide leadership and technological direction to the projects;
• Ensures that solution choices and technology directions chosen align with stated and official IT technology directions and practices;
• Advises project teams on best practices to aid in solution architecture;
• Provides architectural/design direction to the project; and
• Assists project team members with technological issues and performs any IT-related tasks required by the projects.
Delivering high performance, highly reliable technology solutions
• Supervise and assist incident response on critical business applications;
• Monitor and tune systems to achieve optimum performance levels;
• Undertakes POC evaluations of new technology and concepts to keep DI at the forefront of technology, and to evaluate which technologies either align with IT direction, or should be included in IT direction; and
• Responsible for managing the transition of new products and technology from development to production supported status.
Train cross-functional teams on technology solutions
• Documents procedures and technologies for IT and Development staff;
• Ensure operational success by coordinating with SysAdmins on support of deployed solutions and performing advanced escalation assistance;
• Acts as a mentor to junior IT staff to assist in professional development and growth; and
• Acts as liaison between IT and development staff.
• This position requires approximately four weeks of domestic travel.
Required Skills and Experience
• Bachelor's degree in related field or comparable experience;
• 5+ years of experience with complex/enterprise system administration and engineering;
• Excellent communication and documentation skills;
• Skilled at documenting designs and policies associated with system infrastructure;
• Industry standard certification in one or more of the following categories (or better):
o Linux Professional Institute LPCI-3 certification
o RedHat RHCE certification
o Microsoft MCITP, MCSA, MCSE, or MCTS certification
o VMware VCP certification
o Cisco CCDA/CCNA certification o NetApp NCDA/NCIE certification;
• Experience working with global infrastructure with a focus on security;
• Awareness of ITIL best practices;
• Possess a clear understanding of capacity planning in various scenarios (load balancing, performance testing/troubleshooting, highly available system design);
• Experience with shell scripting and automation tools;
• Background in supporting troubleshooting efforts on various degrees of hardware (servers/desktops/SAN/NAS environments);
• Extensive knowledge of systems monitoring and management tools such as Zenoss, Zabbix, Solar Winds, WhatsUp, SCOM, or similar products;
• Experience with enterprise server virtualization using VMware;
• Working knowledge of Active Directory, Group Policy, DNS/DHCP, and permissions;
• In-depth experience with Microsoft Windows and Ubuntu within large environments;
• Experience deploying/managing medium to large scale virtual environment;
• Experience with standardizing server configurations (E.g. CPU, RAM, RAID, Templates);
• Experience with Cisco UCS servers is preferred;
• Understanding of network infrastructure (routers, switches, etc.) is preferred; and
• Knowledge/use of SAN and storage technologies, NetApp preferred.
• Demonstrates a readiness to learn new technologies to solve client needs;
• Thrives in dynamic, independent learning environments; and
• Works effectively under stress and deadlines.
Drillinginfo, Inc. - 7 months ago