Provides technical support to a librarian by performing a wide variety of technical and public services within two community libraries (at Maxwell AFB and at Gunter Annex). Conducts activities and services to ensure goals are accomplished for the Maxwell-Gunter BOS contract.
MAJOR JOB ACTIVITIES:
1. Responsible for performing all assigned duties as safely and efficiently as possible to maintain a safe work environment.
2. Provides accurate and timely customer assistance.
3. Under the direction of the librarian, oversees library procurement/acquisitions process; monitors receipt of all orders.
4. Assists, plans, and promotes library programs and activities.
5. Arranges exhibits to promote library materials/services or observances.
6. Develops familiarity with professional materials for guidance on standardized technical and public services procedures.
7. Physically processes all media types for shelf readiness (to include but not limited to typing title cards, applying barcodes,
date due pockets, property stamps, and spine labels); performs repairs on damaged yet salvageable materials.
8. Informs librarian of titles for possible purchase and inclusion in the collection.
9. Refers unusual or complex problems concerning materials to librarian for guidance or resolution.
10. Develops familiarity with use of a broad spectrum of standard library reference tools such as guides, indexes, bibliographies, professional directories, online public access catalog (OPAC), and online databases.
11. Provides ready reference services to patrons by locating bibliographic information using standard library reference tools;
utilizes online public access catalog (OPAC) and online databases to prepare bibliographies for special collections.
12. Uses various search strategies within the library’s holdings and the interlibrary loan (ILL) network to locate materials requested by patrons or to respond to requests for materials from other libraries.
13. Assists library customers with all public access library equipment and explains searching techniques to locate materials in the online public access catalog (OPAC).
14. Refers difficult reference questions requiring significant judgment for guidance or resolution to the librarian.
15. Performs descriptive and copy cataloging with precision and accuracy where the bibliographic characteristics are moderately easy to determine applying Anglo-American Cataloging Rules 2nd Revision (AACR2) and machine-readable cataloging format (MARC) to surrogate records of all media types.
16. Classifies and catalogs materials to make them accessible to library users through the OPAC; ensures catalog records are
accurate and current by exercising bibliographic control procedures.
17. Explains library rules, regulations, circulation procedures, and entitlements to library users.
18. Performs daily operations of circulation desk including operating modules within the automated integrated library system (ILS); tracks and compiles statistics for recurring reports.
19. Verifies eligibility and registers new borrowers.
20. Shelves materials in correct areas and in accordance with call number scheme. Performs shelf reading to perpetuate correct and orderly placement of all media types.
21. Prepares and processes correspondence, reports and forms; operates office equipment (e.g. fax, photocopy, or scanner
machine); assists customers, and answers telephones.
22. Participates in weeding, inventory, and other projects as assigned.
23. Participates in the conservation of library materials.
24. Maintains files of correspondence, directives, instructions, and other publications.
25. Ensures compliance with policies, directives, and procedures.
26. Assists in general housekeeping of common areas and work area/center.
27. Performs additional duties as assigned in accordance with contractual, functional and mission requirements.
The duties listed are intended only as illustration of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statement of duties does not exclude them for the position of the work that is similar, related, or a logical assignment to this class.
MATERIAL & EQUIPMENT DIRECTLY USED:
This work requires the use of a computer, scanner, copier, printer, phone, fax machine and various other equipments.
Working conditions may include performing job requirements under certain time and resource constraints, in a very fluid environment. Work involves everyday risks or discomforts typically associated with libraries, offices, and meeting and training rooms. Work areas are adequately heated, cooled, lighted, and ventilated.
The work requires some physical exertion such as long periods of standing; or recurring activities such as bending, crouching, stooping, stretching, reaching; pushing loaded book trucks; or recurring lifting of moderately heavy items such as boxes of books or journals. Must be able to lift 30 lbs.
1 to 3 years library experience required.
Clearance Level Required at Start Date
No Clearance Required
ITT Exelis - 19 months ago