MSH seeks a Sr. Technical Manager, Project Design to join the office of Business Resource Development (BRD). The Sr. Technical Manager, Project Design will contribute to creating winning MSH proposals by leading the development and articulation of project design and technical, partnering and staffing strategies in response to Request for Proposals/Applications (RFP/A’s). The Sr. Technical Manager, Project Design will have final responsibility for the development, presentation and articulation of the technical strategy and subsequent technical approach, ensuring it is responsive; technically outstanding, current and innovative; and, can be successfully implemented with the human resources and budgets proposed. The Sr. Technical Manager, Project Design will also contribute to best practices and learning capture and integration into the MSH proposal development process.
The Sr. Technical Manager, Project Design will be responsible for contributing to new business development through new business capture, technical strategy lead in the design of new projects and development of new proposals, and for mentoring and training technical staff on project design. The Sr. Technical Manager, Project Design will work closely with MSH's technical leadership), Center Vice Presidents, the VP for Strategic Development & Communications, and the Sr. Director of Business and Resource Development.
The Sr. Technical Manager, Project Design, working in close collaboration with MSH technical centers (health services, leadership and management, and pharmaceutical management) and other offices, is responsible for leading the development of project design and articulation of technical strategies in response to new business opportunities, most often through competitive bidding. Working with technical contributors, country experts, and other internal and external experts, he/she will harness MSH’s technical, country, project management and business development expertise to conceptualize the overall strategic framework encompassing all MSH experience and expertise on proposals. Specifically, the Sr. Technical Manager, Project Design will be responsible for:
- In collaboration with others, leading development of a sound technical strategy and price to win strategy
- Selecting appropriate technical partners to ensure both high-quality implementation and a winning strategy for the proposal
- Overseeing staffing strategy and key personnel selection, in collaboration with the Technical Center that will house the project
- Coordinating the link between cost and technical proposals
- Contributing to the best and final (BAFO) response for technical and cost questions as appropriate
- Incorporating best practices and lessons learned into proposal development practices
- Participating in project hand-off meetings/processes for implementation team as required
- Providing short-term technical assistance on MSH projects and field offices in balance with business development responsibilities. (Estimated level of effort is 20-25%.)
- A minimum of 8 years’ experience working in international public health with demonstrated achievement in project design, implementation, and evaluation in the context of business development.
- Advanced degree in relevant field preferred. Technical expertise in at least one or more of the following priority health areas: maternal and child health, family planning, HIV/AIDS, TB, child health, private sector delivery of health care (social franchising), or health system strengthening.
- Proven track record of developing technical strategies and complex proposals with multiple donors and funders is highly desired. Strong track record of developing winning proposals in the health sector for USAID is required.
- Strong interpersonal communication and facilitation skills required. Demonstrated ability to ‘herd the cats’ and motivate a wide and diverse group of staff working on proposals for MSH. A sense of humor is appreciated, as is the ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Strategic thinking skills required. This position requires a strategist who is able to make critical and timely decisions in a rapidly changing environment.
- Sound judgment and the highest ethical standards are required. Demonstrated understanding of procurement integrity issues.
- Overseas experience with at least 2 years of long-term resident experience in a developing county strongly preferred (or equivalent experience in short-term assignments in developing countries).
- Demonstrated organizational skills, and the ability to follow procedures and plans, while remaining flexible.
- Strong preference for someone with proven management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and concisely in written and spoken English, including excellent skills in drafting business development documents.
- Fluency in a second major language (French, Spanish or Portuguese) is strongly preferred, including the ability to conduct business in that language.
- Experience training and mentoring others in project design a strong plus.
- Willingness and availability to travel internationally for up to 30- 50% of the time, depending upon the portfolio of bids being worked on.
Management Sciences for Health - 2 years ago