Alcorn State University, an equal employment opportunity employer, is strongly committed to achieving excellence through a diverse workforce. The University actively encourages applications of all qualified individuals.
PRINCIPAL PURPOSE OF JOB: Alcorn State University’s Campus Police Department seeks two (2) skilled Dispatchers I to provide service work that involves receiving and responding to phone calls- emergency 911 and non-emergency requests for police assistance. The position requires a considerable degree of initiative and independent judgment in responding to emotional, distressed and sometimes offensive individuals in a variety of situations.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY: The incumbents are responsible for responding to phone calls, dispatching officers or other emergency personnel, and assisting with securing certain functions/events within procedural boundaries.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Under supervision, the Dispatcher I will perform the following duties:
• Take calls and respond to emergencies via telephone and radio systems;
• Process and evaluate information, prioritizes calls and dispatches required personnel, units and/or agencies;
• Maintain status and locations of campus police personnel;
• Keep daily logs of public safety communications activity;
• Monitor and coordinate police unit activity and assignments via police radio frequencies;
• Monitor surveillance camera;
• Enter and maintain files for persons or property pending apprehension/recovery;
• Review personal information for tags and criminal history or ticket citations;
• Maintain appropriate security and integrity of information created in the performance of assigned duties;
• Assist in office activities such as, time cards and payroll when necessary;
• Prepare and type reports;
• Any other relevant duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: High School Diploma or G.E.D. and up to 1 year specialized or technical training; must be at least 18 yrs. of age
Licensing and Certifications
This position requires attaining and maintaining certifications for access into local, state, and national criminal history databases, and the possession of a valid driver’s license.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of public service activity and methods of local government
• Skill in carrying out orders with precision and speed
• Ability to make decisions quickly and accurately
• Ability to speak clearly and concisely
• Ability to deal with public in a courteous and tactful manner
• Ability to operate a sending-receiving radio console
• Ability to apply public safety regulations and procedures
• Knowledge of computer technology and equipment
• Skill in observing situations analytically and objectively, and relaying details accurately
I. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
1. Ability to sit at a workstation for extended periods
2. Occasional ability to lift, carry, and put away parcels weighing up to 50 pounds
3. Normal physical mobility, which includes movement from place to place on the job taking distance and speed into account
ALCORN STATE UNIVERSITY is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The functions, qualifications, knowledge/skills, and physical requirements listed in this job description represent the essential duties of the job, which the incumbent must be able to perform either with or without reasonable accommodation. The Job Functions listed do not necessarily include all activities that the individual may perform.
InsideHigherEd.com - 2 years ago