Job Number: MFB DNC 01
Close Date: N/A
Location: Morgan YMCA
Job Type: Part Time
Hiring Range: $9.19+hr Depending on Qualifications
Hours: Up to 34 hours per week
The YMCA of Pierce and Kitsap Counties is seeking experienced and innovative African Dance Instructors to provides direct leadership, instruction and motivation for students in the technique of African Dance . Provides a quality experience to students and parents focused on YMCA core values: honesty, respect, responsibility, and caring. Represents the YMCA and self in a professional manner of safety and fun.
The Morgan Family YMCA is a part of YMCA’s Activate America national initiative that is committed to:
• Supporting those who want to lead a healthy lifestyle, but struggle to do so.
• Being an integral part of our community’s efforts to make long-lasting changes that support healthy living.
• Working in collaboration through partnerships with public, private and other nonprofit organizations.
• Promote a positive environment that fosters fun, safety and our YMCA values.
• Treat every student fairly and equally regardless of circumstances and abilities, making each feel good about themselves and encourage a fun environment.
• Accentuate positive attributes nurturing the whole; physically, mentally, socially, and emotionally. Give praise for effort.
• Maintain good public relations with members and always represent the best interests of the YMCA.
• Arrive with ample time to report to position at the scheduled time.
• Be responsible and fulfill your commitments to scheduled shifts. Notify a supervisor personally and in a timely manner if you are unable to meet your commitment. This includes illness and extenuating circumstances.
• Participate in staff meetings as required.
• Participate in trainings as required.
• Assume other responsibilities as mutually agreed upon with supervisor.
• Dance Instruction
Lead an African Dance based exercise class for adults.
Possess the knowledge and skills needed to instruct dance classes in the above-mentioned techniques.
Teach and demonstrate positive dance principles.
Prepare class lesson plans with a natural progression of appropriate movement.
Dress according to YMCA dress code, having on the appropriate shirt and nametag. Dress in appropriate athletic attire.
Double-check the clothing safety of all participants for jewelry, gum, and clothing violations that can result in injury.
Double-check and set-up all equipment prior to class.
Know the location of the first aid kit, nearest phone, and incident reports. It is highly encouraged to maintain current certification in CPR and First Aid.
Complete incident reports forms as needed and submit to supervisor.
Branch Team Member and YMCA Values
• Model the YMCA values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility through fun, positive relationships with members & staff. Seek every opportunity to encourage, motivate and thank fellow staff members for their work.
• Be enthusiastic toward members by learning their names and expressing an interest in their YMCA activities. Strive to enrich their Y experience by introducing them to new programs, staff, members and volunteer activities.
• Understand the Y’s mission, goals, objectives and programs to better relay this information to members for Youth Development, Healthy Living, and Social Responsibility.
Professional Image and Development
• Maintain a consistent, professional image through dress, actions and relationships with members. Speak enthusiastically on behalf of the Y at given opportunities.
• Participate in applicable training and conferences to further professional growth as outlined in annual training plan.
• Participate in staff meetings and other association or branch committees, and with Branch Advisory Committee, as needed.
• Represents the YMCA and self in a professional manner of safety and fun.
• Possess the knowledge and skills to instruct beginning/intermediate level African Dance group class.
• Previous choreography experience in the above mentioned techniques.
• Knowledge of safety procedures and equipment set-up.
• CPR and First Aid certifications.
• YMCA required trainings including Child Abuse Prevention training (within 60 days), Listen First Training, and Blood borne Pathogen Training (within 90 days).
• An understanding of and commitment to the Y philosophy.
• Outstanding ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
• The ability to demonstrate a friendly, courteous and professional manner while working with volunteers, staff, parents, and participants, and the ability to understand, articulate and enforce YMCA policies and procedures in a positive way.
• Sensitivity to the needs of families including adults and children.
YMCA of Pierce and Kitsap Counties - 18 months ago