• In a UNIX server environment, performs installation, customization and maintenance of the operating system and system software products in support of business processing requirements.
• Performs system software installations, system software maintenance and product upgrades.
• Evaluate and integrate new operating system versions, drivers and hardware.
• Tests software updates and patches.
• Monitors and tunes the system to achieve optimum performance levels in standalone and multi-tiered environments.
• Conducts system analysis, configuration management and develops improvements for system software performance, availability and reliability.
• Perform Incident resolution, Problem Determination and Root Cause Analysis in accordance with Service Level Agreements.
• Designs, develops, recommends and implements new or revised system software, utilities and automated processes as necessary.
• Provides in-depth diagnosis for operating systems software/hardware failures and develops solutions. • Ensures server data integrity by evaluating, implementing and managing appropriate software and hardware solutions.
• Prescribes system backup / disaster recovery procedures and directs recovery operations in the event of destruction of all or part of the operating system or other system components. Implements appropriate levels of system security.
• Provides technical expertise for system Transitions, Migrations and Consolidations.
• Provides technical assistance to IT support staff, including but not limited to, DBAs, Network Engineers, Application Developers, Middleware Engineers, other System Administrators, Project Managers, Change Managers and Business Development staff.
• The Sr. Advisor level is the recognized subject matter expert in the design, architecture and deployment of new UNIX systems in standalone and multi-tiered environments. Is a recognized expert in at least two UNIX based related areas in addition to Sr. Advisor Core expertise.
• Leads project management activities for new system requirements, RFP responses, data center migrations and new technology exploitation.
• Transfers knowledge and provides leadership support to the Advisors in the implementation of new hardware, operating systems and new software technology.
• The Sr. Advisor is expected to keep abreast of new technology and make recommendations as to how best to exploit the new technology for the benefit of our customers.
• Designs technologically advanced solutions to meet customer’s mission, objectives and requirements. • Proactively assesses exposure areas and takes steps to reduce vulnerabilities. Provides advice, training, and 24x7 technical support to customers, users and programmers.
• Provides technical leadership on complex projects involving a broad range of expertise and disciplines, often performing the role of Infrastructure Architect.
• Great customer facing / presentation skills to all levels of management. Project management experience supporting data centers migrations and major software upgrades. Outstanding written and verbal communication skills. Significant project management experience and leadership skills.
• 8+ years of UNIX systems administration Experience, primarily Red Hat Enterprise Linux (versions 4 and 5)
• Red Hat cluster experience
• Knowledge of Linux virtualization technologies (Xen, VMware ESX)
• Experience using Kickstart for server builds
• Experience with Oracle environments implemented on Linux systems
• Package management for Red Hat systems
• Advanced knowledge of the OS specific security and services configuration.
• General knowledge of: EMC SAN connectivity and related technologies, scripting (shell/Perl)
• Possess significant knowledge of the UNIX OS internals.
• Must demonstrate expertise at the UNIX command line involving a large variety of utilities, interpreters and compilers.
• Must be recognized as an proficient cross platform Shell Programmer.
• C programming knowledge to at least the level of debugging and porting available utilities across UNIX platforms.
• Acts as UNIX systems architect in standalone and multi-tiered environments.
• Proficient in UNIX security across UNIX variants.
• AIX and/or Sun Solaris experience
• Apache/MySQL/PHP experience
• Effective leadership of interdisciplinary resources in architecture, implementation and problem determination.
• Datacenter Migration experience
Minimum Certifications or Other Professional Credentials:
• Bachelor Degree or equivalent technical experience
Candidate must be open to working US day hours if project requires.
Life At Dell
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Dell - 20 months ago
copy to clipboard
Since 1985, Dell has played a critical role in enabling more affordable and accessible technology around the world. As an end-to-end...