Via Christi Health's rich history of serving the people of Kansas and the surrounding region dates back more than 100 years to the healing ministries of our founding congregations. Today, Via Christi Health is the largest provider of health care services in Kansas. We serve Kansas and northeast Oklahoma through our doctors, hospitals, senior villages and health services.
Position assists patients in accessing health care services through scheduling, pre-registration, front desk check-in, registration or patient placement. The Representative is responsible for creating accurate demographic and financial information in the core scheduling and/or registration system through telephone or face to face patient contact. Duties may include determining insurance benefit eligibility, obtaining authorization, reviewing physician orders, using online tools to screen for medical necessity, obtaining patient signatures, communicating patient’s financial responsibility collecting patient’s out of pocket expenses, scheduling appointments and posting charges. These tasks may be performed in an office, clinic, hospital admissions area, emergency department or patient care area.
Key Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Creates patient financial file in core scheduling and/or registration system by -accurately and thoroughly collecting, analyzing, and recording demographic, insurance, financial data in computer system in compliance with departmental quality standards.
- May manage physician orders per assigned area guidelines.
- May reviewand explain all registration forms prior to obtaining signatures from patient or appropriate patient representative. Places armband on patient as appropriate.
- Initiates electronic inquiries to payers and obtains eligibility and benefit information, creates patient payment estimates, explains information to patient and collects patient out of pocket expenses at registration. Reconciles cash drawers daily and follows department procedure for logging and submitting deposits.
- Identifies payer requirements for medical necessity and pre-certification. Verifies compliance and completes the screening process for medical necessity.
- May be required to manage bed reservations from internal and external sources. Contacts Patient Placementto secure bed assignments and communicates assignments to all necessary parties.
- May complete scheduling in core system per guidelines.
- May completefinancial requirements for assigned work area including charge posting and reconciliation, collecting department statistics and contract billing.
- May manage medical records per assigned area guidelines.
- May prepare patient charts with appropriate documents to facilitate patient registration.
- Depending on assigned work areas may assume Health Unit Clerk duties, Patient Placement, Switchboard or Rehab Aid duties.
- May perform other duties as assigned or requested.
Education and/or Experience
- High school diploma or GED required. Post high-school education preferred.
- Prefer prior experience in a healthcare setting, and/or medical office or insurance setting; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Prefer knowledge of Medical Terminology
- A personal presence which is characterized by a sense of honesty, integrity and caring with the ability to inspire and motivate others to promote the philosophy, mission, vision, goals and values of Via Christi Health.
- Exhibits compassion for patients, family members, and others; along with a nurturing spirit to provide support during emotionally stressful situations.
- Maintains customer relations at a very positive level as evidenced by feedback from patients, visitors, physicians and employees as demonstrated by the ability to interact openly and honestly with physicians, other health care professionals, patients and the public.
- Demonstrates and promotes teamwork by displaying flexibility and a willingness to assist co-workers and other service areas as requested, showing respect and cooperation with all departments and individuals.
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks, often changing assignments on short notice.
- A positive, proactive, and resourceful attitude toward achieving overall department and hospital goals.
- PCs skills required to become proficient in the use of a variety of computer-based systems.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and be able to professionally receive and follow oral instructions. Able to comprehend medical terms.
- Ability to answer telephone promptly and courteously while addressing callers needs.
- Must be adept with office equipment typically found in a business office environment.
- Must be able to type 40 WPM. (N/A for VCH-P)
- Must be able to meet spelling requirement. (N/A for VCH-P)
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; walk; stand; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; taste or smell; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Potential exposure to all patient elements including communicable diseases and body fluids.
- Understands differences and adjusts care as related to age and developmental level from pediatric to geriatric ranges.
- Requires manual and finger dexterity and eye/hand coordination for easy and skillful use of hands when working with patients and equipment.
- Requires ability to communicate verbally with patients and hospital staff and observe pertinent details.
- Requires ability to work where activities are characterized by frequent change.
- Requires occasional movement from one location to another throughout Via Christi Health to deliver paperwork or patients in wheelchairs to departments.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, outside weather conditions, risk of electrical shock and vibrations. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Travel may be required
Position Scope/Patient Population:
- Multi-specialty population of patients of all ages, from neonate/newborn to geriatric, including those who may be impaired or in a crisis mode.
Via Christi Health is an Equal Opportunity (EOE) and Affirmative Action Employer. We support diversity in the workplace.
Via Christi Health System
- 2 years ago - save job