Washington, DC, USA
SUMMARY : The Help Desk Technician role is to ensure proper computer operation enabling end users to accomplish business tasks. This includes receiving, prioritizing, documenting, and resolving end-user help requests. Problem resolution may involve the use of diagnostic and help request tracking tools, as well as require providing in-person, hands-on help at the desktop level.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Use electronic help desk ticketing system to log, track, and document resolution of all help requests.
• Build rapport and elicit problem details from help desk customers.
• Prioritize and schedule projects/tasks. Transfer problems (when required) to the appropriately experienced department member.
• Record, track, and document the help desk request problem-solving process through to final resolution, including all successful and unsuccessful decisions made, and actions performed.
• Provide support for the Audio/Visual equipment in the office conference rooms.
• Apply diagnostic utilities to aid in troubleshooting.
• Access software updates, drivers, knowledge bases, and frequently asked questions resources on the Internet to aid in problem resolution.
• Identify and learn appropriate software and hardware used and supported by the organization.
• Perform hands-on solutions at the desktop level, including installing and upgrading software, installing hardware, implementing file backups, and configuring systems and applications.
• Deploy patches, service packs, and critical updates to all workstations.
• Perform post-resolution follow-ups to help requests.
• Evaluate documented resolutions and analyze trends for ways to prevent future problems.
• Develop help sheets and frequently asked questions lists for end users.
GENERAL DUTIES :
• Serve as an engaged and involved team member, supportive of the varied experiences and perspectives of internal and external colleagues.
• Support and actively build an office culture dedicated to superior customer service that exceeds member expectations.
• Work within the team and among teams to ensure that decisions are made to further the organization's goals.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES : None.
QUALIFICATIONS : Proven strong ability to troubleshoot and resolve hardware and software problems in a Windows/Mac environment using Windows 7, Mac OS X and Microsoft Office 2010. Ability to multi-task and set priorities in a flexible manner to address changing needs. Exceptional interpersonal skills are a must. Ability to work independently, with little supervision, and to work effectively to complete tasks with or without complete documentation.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE : BS degree in a relevant field, such as computer science or engineering is preferred; equivalent experience, training, and professional credentials also acceptable. At least one year of experience providing either technical support in a Windows 7 environment, or possess an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. (Knowledge of Macintosh operating system is a plus.) Proficiency utilizing Internet protocols such as http and FTP to download and apply patches.
LANGUAGE SKILLS : Excellent oral and written communication skills.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS : Basic math skills required.
REASONING ABILITY : Must show good judgment and logic. Must be able to competently handle potentially controversial issues and situations.
PHYSICAL SKILLS : Must be able to lift desktop computers and servers. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Society for Neuroscience - 10 months ago