The IT Engineering Systems Administrator will be responsible for day to day support of all IT systems including local windows, Linux, and engineering development servers for the Xyratex Fremont site. This role will also work closely with engineering and development to provide support and solutions for the company as a whole.
Essential Job Functions & Responsibilities:
- Work with local engineering to support current systems and provide IT framework and best practice solutions.
- Support local IT systems at an engineering office location.
- Work with WW IT team on projects.
- Install, configure, and support Windows 2003/2008/Linux servers, external storage enclosures, and windows workstations.
- Maintains backup system and disaster recovery plan and can demonstrate ability to restore data or systems and connectivity.
- Point of escalation for helpdesk team and engineering users for key systems.
- Proactively monitors systems and responds to telephone calls, email and personnel requests for second/third level technical support 24x7.
- Documents server and system setups maintaining and improves existing documentation.
- Misc. IT support duties as required
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Effective verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to troubleshoot windows and Linux systems and conduct root cause analysis of issues.
- Ability to articulate and present concepts, ideas, and strategies to executives, senior management, technology personnel as well as end-users.
- Ability to follow clearly-defined policies, processes and procedures.
- Advanced level customer service skills to manage expectations, perceptions and outcomes.
- Proven team player able to assimilate into an existing group of experienced members.
- Prioritize multiple tasks, manage conflicting deadlines, and work effectively in a dynamic environment.
- Understands span of control to escalate or delegate issues to appropriate levels.
- Quickly learns and assimilates new business processes, ideas and concepts to formulate conclusions and deliver results.
- Works with integrity. Maintains credibility by meeting commitments.
- Minimum AS Degree in Information Systems, Computer Science or related required. BS/BA in Information Systems, Computer Science or related preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years experience in a Systems Administration support position.
- Experience with Linux/Ubuntu support in a Business and/or Engineering Environment.
- MCSE/MCITP or equivalent experience.
- Experience with VMware virtualization technologies.
- Experience with Cloud based systems and best practice architecture
- Experience with Windows Server 2003/2008 and Active Directory design.
- Working knowledge of UNIX/Linux commands and system support.
- Working knowledge of Apache, IIS, DHCP, DNS, AD, and Server Administration
- Working knowledge of Google Mail/Apps/Sites.
- Knowledge of SSO and Integrated authentication solutions.
- Basic knowledge of network design fundamentals and practice
- Some familiarity with ITIL best practice
- Familiar with working in globally dispersed teams and/or a Follow-The-Sun Worldwide Support model
- Must appreciate the importance of working in a global environment.
- This may require 5-10% travel to other USA/WW sites for training or service calls.
- May Supervise Vendors for Specific tasks
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
- Ability to set priorities on workload with minimal supervision.
- Good Problem-solving ability related to IT systems
- Communicating with the executives and employees in a technical and professional manner
- Creating written documentation
- Must be able to lift 40lbs occasionally.
- Must be able to repetitively lift 25lbs unassisted.
- Ability to operate computer equipment.
Multiple-user heater and air conditioning.
- Majority of work is completed while sitting at a semi-private workstation.
- Occasional Work in Warehouse or Manufacturing area required.
- Need of Steel-toed shoes for work in some areas.
- Natural and fluorescent lighting.
- First floor building.
- Occasional domestic and international travel, at times on short notice.
- Current passport and no history of declined visas, or entry refusal to any country.
Xyratex Ltd - 13 months ago