The Europe and Central Asia (ECA) region comprises of 30 extremely diverse clients, with a population of nearly 500 million people. Four of our clients are IDA only and another 5 are IDA blend countries. The remaining 21 are IBRD eligible. Although 10 of our clients have joined the EU and 7 of these have graduated, most continue to remain active recipients of knowledge and/or lending services. CASs/CPSs reflect this strong diversity with substantial variation in lending prospects, but strong demand for Bank technical services is present across the board.
For the most part, countries in the ECA region have recovered to the GDP levels prevailing prior to the 2008/09 crisis, yet growth is slower than before the crisis. In 2011, the region had a real growth rate of 5.3 percent, and is projected to grow at 3 percent in 2012. The crisis left ECA countries with historically high levels of unemployment, which are still worsening, particularly in the Balkans. Furthermore, the rapidly unfolding sovereign debt problems in Western Europe are posing challenges to the sustainability of the relatively tepid recovery. The ECA region is implementing a regional strategy that is focused on addressing three critical challenges to growth and development---improving competitiveness, reforming the social sectors to achieve inclusive growth, and making growth more sustainable through climate action. Governance and gender issues cut across these three strategic pillars.
The financial and economic crisis led to a substantial increase in Bank lending and knowledge activities in all ECA countries, including in several EU members states (e.g., Latvia, Romania, and Poland). The crisis helped serve as a powerful reminder of the relevance of the Bank both as an attractive source of funding and a reliable provider of timely and quality advice.
ECAIT is a support services unit in the Europe and Central Asia (ECA) Region providing Information Technology\Information Management (IT\IM) support to Regional country offices based in 24 countries and our headquarters in Washington, DC. The Unit's objective is to complement and coordinate Institutional IT\IM services in the ECA Region and to provide additional value added services specific to the ECA Region business strategy. Typical services include, office technology support, training, country office global network maintenance, IT business continuity management and knowledge management services.
The ECA CO IT Team Lead will represent and coordinate IT services and activities across ECA’s 25 country offices. The position is expected to play a significant coordinating role between country office IT staff and the Regional Sr. IT Lead and IT service delivery leaders in the institution. The CO IT Team Lead will work with the CO IT staff to set program delivery goals, audit IT program activities and service quality, monitor IT\Communications cost controls, and build IT team capacity in areas of organization, work efficiency, technical knowledge and team communications. The CO IT Team Lead will often have a data collection role and be a point of contact for Regional and Institutional IT task leaders.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 2 year term appointment.
Duties and Accountabilities:
Duties and Accountabilities
- Responsible for leadership in the delivery and support of IT products and services within ECA country offices;
- Perform a wide range of project management and administrative tasks, to include responding to needs of software deployment, information requests, and moving or expanding offices;
- Support information security policies and initiatives by providing technical support in line with information security standards and requirements;
- Work independently, coordinate and supervise own work and that of others;
- Work on one or more projects concurrently as a project team member or lead multiple projects;
- Lead tasks to establish policies and procedures, and to coordinate training programs;
- Provide IT direction and lead the support and recommendation of IT solutions;
- Responds to Tier I and II questions from clients where appropriate, escalates issues to Tier III IT staff if necessary;
- Compiles regular reports to Regional Sr. IT Lead on status of activities, team’s performance and customer feedback. Produces ad-hoc reports as needed;
- Coordinates feedback on new software\hardware performance and testing;
- Diagnoses escalated problems from CO IT team, investigates alternative methods to expedite problem resolution, and recommends efficiency adjustments to standards;
- Provides for business continuity and emergency management planning and procedure testing. May support crisis incident in another office;
- Participates in institutional working groups related to standards;
- In consultation with network engineers, monitors status and performance of operating systems, applications, e-mail servers and LANs/WANs using testing tools;
- Coordinates training in information management (IM) systems such as EnCorr, OKSP, Client Connection, Portals, etc.;
- In coordination with network team, provide support for network connectivity to include LAN/WAN, Voice systems, satellite and video conferencing;
- Partners with Resource Management and CO IT staff to manage all IT asset controls, process disposals, and advise on procurement;
- Coach, mentor, train and provide feedback on the performance management of CO IT staff. Provide leadership and direction for new and less experienced team members in common tasks and areas of responsibility;
- Assist Regional Sr. IT Lead in the identification and recruitment of IT staff and contractors;
- Participate in IT and Communications cost savings initiatives, monitor related costs for optional IT and computing charges;
- Advocate and adhere to WB and ECA Region standard IT policies and procedures.
Other Selection Criteria
- Service Provider Assessment and Evaluation - Evaluates internal provider solutions against proposed external solutions.
- Information Systems Knowledge - Identifies means of integrating technical support requirements with enterprise processes and strategies.
- Foundation Architecture Knowledge - Provides guidance on the standards and guidelines to members of the development community.
- Risk Management - Identifies potential risks and develops preventive plans for procedural activities.
- Business Process Knowledge - Maps full business processes and designs operational process flow.
- Network Technology Knowledge - Integrates information from multiple sources into the design and development of network systems.
- Product/Service Performance Analysis - Sets current system monitoring performance objectives.
- Client Orientation - Takes personal responsibility and accountability for timely response to client queries, requests or needs, working to remove obstacles that may impede execution or overall success.
- Drive for Results - Takes personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed-upon results, and has the personal organization to do so.
- Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion - Collaborates with other team members and contributes productively to the team's work and output, demonstrating respect for different points of view.
- Knowledge, Learning and Communication - Actively seeks knowledge needed to complete assignments and shares knowledge with others, communicating and presenting information in a clear and organized manner.
- Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making - Analyzes facts and data to support sound, logical decisions regarding own and others' work.
The World Bank Group is committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality, culture and educational background. Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence (recommended for external job postings only).
- MA/MS Degree in engineering or computer related field and a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience (or a BA/BS with 7 years of relevant experience, in French system BAC+3 with 9 years of highly relevant experience) within the IT function of a Regional VPU including experience in delivering IT services to a large decentralized organization;
- Proficiency in standard desktop applications including but not limited to Microsoft Windows OS, Micrsoft Office, Lotus Notes;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Windows Server Operating Systems and related technologies;
- Excellent knowledge of IT hardware; PCs, handheld devices, scanners, digital senders, modems etc.;
- Knowledge of LAN and WAN communications systems (e.g., Cisco routers/switches, VPN devices, etc);
- Ability to provide remote troubleshooting services;
- Ability to work independently and/or in a team as required under different circumstances;
- Must have good customer service experience as well as be able to be ’hands on" in developing and implementing solutions;
- Strong project management and organizational skills;
- Strong team leadership/supervisory skills;
Collectively known as the World Bank, the International Bank for Reconstruction & Development (IBRD) and its sister organization the...