Reports to: Team Leads of respective teams Department: Mid-Range Systems
Working on Web servers/ application servers, and/or database servers functionality in a multi-tier distributed application architecture in a 24x7 systems environment.
Responsible for maintaining the integrity, availability, and security of our clients Linux Systems Maintaining and supporting application framework for business critical application and databases Apply appropriate problem solving techniques to solve complex production problems and assist with root cause analysis. Work in team environment to deploy infrastructure solutions that include server setup, operating system installation/tuning, system software installation and configuration, and data migration Implement and maintain LDAP servers and infrastructure User management and authentication for Linux systems Implement and maintain Postfix servers and infrastructure Troubleshoot and address customer issues as well as automated alerts for malfunctioning services Patch management
The Linux team within Secure-24 is tasked with several responsibilities within three major sub-teams. This job description will cover each sub team as well as common expectations and responsibilities.
The main job of any Linux engineer is maintaining the health and security of the Linux systems hosted within Secure-24. We maintain all user access, rights, permissions, as well as oversee any installations of any software being applied to the systems. In addition we respond to customer requests for additions, removals, or configuration changes to the core operating system and its functionality. Throughout the team we also build, deploy, and architect all of the new systems that are coming on line for new customers.
Linux Engineer Responsibilities
Linux Support Engineer:
- Interface directly with the ticketing system keep track of severity and age of all open requests
- Open new requests within the ticketing system to request work from other team members or other teams entirely
- Be responsive to any outage that occurs be willing to help in whatever capacity is needed until service is restored to the customer.
- Interface with helpdesk regarding questions or follow up to an issue that may arise
- Work with other team members to make sure that no issue is left unattended
- Act as a student and a mentor knowledge sharing is a top priority
- Update documentation where needed and make sure information stays current
- Track time appropriately to maintain profitability studies
- Respond to all break fix situations that occur with any hosted system
- Possess knowledge to address outages in the following technologies
o Log offloading
o System Load
Linux Implementations Engineer
- Participate in a daily queue watching rotation to make sure that no request goes unnoticed
- Participate in an on-call rotation that will vary in iteration length based on size of the support team.
- Follow a well established escalation procedure in the event of a service outage
- Carefully manage and balance projects with daily requests
- Set reasonable expectations with the customers for completion of requests
- Interface directly with customers where the request is unclear or challenges come up during the implementation of the request
- Meet weekly to discuss challenges or accomplishments
o Environment drawing with application flow and ports used for traffic, hostnames, and IPs.
- Interface with sales and pre-sales engineers to understand the scope of any upcoming projects
- Work directly with the project managers and keep them updated on progress of new implementations
- Interface directly with the customer during the implementation; serve as a direct point of contact while the systems are being brought up.
- Create requests for Networking, VMware and SAN teams to finalize builds and changes that occur within builds
- Implement all new Load Balancing setups for customers coming live
- Install base OS and configure standard setups on applications for new systems
- Interface with Puppet to maintain configuration standards while building new systems
- Interface with Bizagi to understand when new requests will be coming and follow the builds through the process.
- Meet weekly as a team to discuss challenges or accomplishments
- Interface directly with Linux Architects to understand any changes or additions to policy or management tools that will be used in bringing up new systems.
- Complete documentation on any new customer builds
Leadership and Team Focus
- Create a page in the wiki regarding any new customers, what they do, who we contact hostnames and use of their systems.
- Make sure the disaster recovery documentation is updated in hard copy with any information that would be critical to have in the event we lose access to our shared citrix.
- Provides recommendations on changes and design enhancements to improve reliability, security, processes, and performance.
- Takes responsibility for meeting commitments; desire to succeed and has a history of meeting solutions by deadline.
- Builds respectful relationships with team members; consistently acknowledges and appreciates each member's contributions.
- Effectively utilizes each team member to his/her fullest potential; motivates team to work together in the most efficient manner.
- Provides quality customer service above else; ensures an understanding between customer and Secure-24 and helps provide workable solutions.
- Keeps track of lessons learned and shares those lessons with team members.
- Mitigates team conflict and communication problems; provides information that insures interest and understanding.
- Promotes innovation, creativity, and effectiveness, always striving for continuous improvement.
- Grows professionally and personally; eager to acquire new knowledge while promoting Secure-24’s values and culture.
Good working knowledge of web administration Solid knowledge and experience with TCP/IP services such as SMTP, HTTP, FTP, DNS and Mail Experience with Windows and Linux (SUSE, Oracle Enterprise Linux, Red Hat) Operating Systems Comfortable with building a server and administering in multiple platforms with the ability to add users, groups, hosts, and devices to systems/environments.
Monster - 2 years ago
Secure-24 is a premier provider of information security and managed hosting services. We specialize in managed hosting, disaster recovery,...