This is a position specific recruitment for the Department of Juvenile Services. The resulting eligible list will be used to fill this position or function only. Persons interested in future vacancies in the DJS Assistant Director Youth Center classification must reapply at that time.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Flintstone, Maryland (Garrett County)
Main Purpose of Job
The DJS Assistant Director Youth Center position will assist the DJS Director Youth Center in overseeing the operation, buildings, grounds, equipment, and programs of a DJS Youth Center. The DJS Assistant Director Youth Center position will assist with ensuring that the needs of staff and resident youths are met and that safety and security guidelines are followed in accordance with departmental policies and procedures.
The DJS Assistant Director Youth Center position will recommend new and revised policy and procedures for operation of the center to ensure that facility and departmental policies/guidelines are carried out. The DJS Assistant Director Youth Center position will provide oversight and guidance to subordinate staff, oversee concessions and maintain residents' accounts and disbursements, coordinate and oversee community service projects, vocational projects and recreational activities. The position will coordinate youth treatment programs and promote and maintain an environment conducive to healthy interactions between staff and resident youth.
MINIMUM EDUCATION OR GENERAL REQUIREMENTS
Education: High School diploma or G.E.D. certificate acceptable to the Maryland State Board of Education as described in the Correctional Training Commission regulation.
Experience: Five years of experience providing supervision and guidance to youths in a juvenile facility or juvenile services community program for at-risk youth, including one year of employee supervisory experience.
1. The above educational requirement is set by the Maryland Correctional Training Commission in accordance with the Correctional Services Article, Section 8-209.
2. Possession of an Associate of Arts degree in Criminal Justice or the social or behavioral sciences from an accredited college or university or sixty credit hours from an accredited college or university, including 15 hours in criminal justice or the social or behavioral sciences may be substituted for up to one year of the required non-supervisory experience.
3. Possession of a bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice or the social or behavioral sciences from an accredited college or university may be substituted for up to two years of the required non- supervisory experience .
LIMITATIONS ON SELECTION
Must be a current Maryland Department of Juvenile Services employee willing to work in Garrett County, Maryland.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Candidates must be fully certified by the Maryland Correctional Training Commission prior to appointment and are required to maintain certification while employed.
2. Candidates appointed to positions in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
Candidates for employment in this classification will be subject to drug testing, fingerprinting, psychological testing and a thorough background check as required by the Code of Maryland regulations Title 12, subtitle 10, general regulations of the Maryland Correctional Training Commission.
Applicants who meet the Minimum Qualifications will be placed on the eligible list categorized as QUALIFIED, BETTER QUALIFIED OR BEST QUALIFIED. Candidates shall be certified to the eligible list for a period of one year.
The assessment will be a rating of your application based on your education, training and experience as they relate to the requirements of the position. Therefore it is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all related experience and education. Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application (and on separate pages, if necessary) to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. For education obtained outside the U.S., you will be required to provide proof of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service. This list will be used by the DJS hiring agency to select employees.
STATE OF MARYLAND BENEFITS
Online application process is strongly urged.
If you are unable to apply on-line you may fax a paper application to:
Department of Juvenile Services
OHR-Recruitment & Examination Unit fax number 410-333-4188.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
As an equal opportunity employer Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.
State of Maryland - 20 months ago