Lycoming College invites applications for the Associate Dean and Director of Library Services of the John G. Snowden Library. The College seeks an energetic leader with a deep understanding of the evolving role of academic libraries and a vision for the future who is interested in building on the outstanding collaborative information literacy program, the student-centered approaches to library services, and the extensive digital and print archival activities already in place. The Director is responsible for the administration and planning of all college library operations and reports to the Provost.
The Snowden Library’s collections include approximately 183,000 bound volumes, 87,000 e-books, and access to over 20,000 journal titles. The director supervises a staff of four full-time professional librarians, five full-time support staff and 2.0 FTE part-time support staff.
Lycoming College is a four-year residential liberal arts and sciences school dedicated to the undergraduate education of 1,400 students. Located near the banks of the Susquehanna River in Williamsport, Pa., the College fosters academic rigor, a supportive faculty and successful student outcomes. It offers 36 academic majors and is recognized as a Tier 1 educational institution by U.S. News & World Report . Founded in 1812, Lycoming is one of the 50 oldest colleges in the nation.
- Provide strategic and collaborative planning expressing the vision the College holds for its academic library
- Promote strategies and policies that foster information literacy within the College via an active instruction program
- Oversee and assist in the development and management of the Library’s collections, both print and electronic
- Coordinate with Information Technology Services for the planning, implementation, and support of technologies used in the creation, maintenance and delivery of academic information resources for faculty and students both on and off campus
- Manage all library service operations and policies including preparation and administration of annual operating budgets
- Coordinate assessment of library services and procedures
- Maintain the physical building and plan for any necessary renovations
- Supervise a staff of librarians and technicians and facilitate their professional development and evaluation
- Oversee all outreach and faculty relations programs
- Ensure adherence to College safety and security procedures for the safety of those who use and work in the Library
- Participate in local, regional, and national library organizations and consortia, representing the institution through meeting attendance and participation
- Participate in scholarly communication through publication and presentation
Required Experience & Qualifications:
- ALA-accredited Master’s degree in Library Science
- Minimum of five years of experience in academic libraries
- Successful experience teaching information literacy in collaboration with faculty
- Demonstrated knowledge of information technology as it relates to libraries and the ability to effectively communicate with technologists, administration, and library staff about technology
All professional librarians at Lycoming College have dual appointments to the library faculty and to the administrative executive staff. Full-time library faculty have faculty voting and committee service privileges.
- Demonstrated administrative and management experience in academic libraries with an emphasis on strategic planning, budget management, and staff supervision and development
- Knowledge of current issues and trends in scholarly communication, pedagogy, and librarianship such as copyright, plagiarism, intellectual freedom, technology, and assessment
- Record of scholarly achievement
Lycoming College - 2 years ago