The Network Technician will repair and maintain central office, including, but not limited to subscriber loop carrier systems, DSL, POTS, digital and optical muxes. Responsible for keeping the diesel backup generators in optimum condition. Installs, performs routine maintenance, analyzes defects, tests, adjusts, repairs and maintains complex equipment such as switching systems, circuit equipment, network terminal equipment, and data/digital equipment by using electrical and or electronic measuring devices. Updates work and maintenance logs through SS9 dispatch, Word.docs, Ciras and FOMS databases. Plans jobs and determines materials and resources needed to complete tasks. Reviews and interprets work orders, wiring lists, wiring diagrams, and equipment drawings and follows standard practices in the performance of job duties. Utilizes knowledge of general input and analysis of Nortel translations. Runs diagnostic test programs, analyzes defects and/or tests various types of telephone switching equipment (5ESS, Adtran, DMS 100, Calix , Electronic Data Switching, etc), uses various types of testing devices, e.g. volt-ohm meters, spectrum analyzer, digital communications, data analyzers,HST3000 etc. Works varying shifts and hours including possible mandatory overtime, and/or callouts, weekends and holidays. Keeps work team and managers informed of status on work tasks, projects, and problems or obstacles. Attendance, conduct and performance will be considered in the selection process.
Note: Job bids and selection will be administered under mutually agreed upon guidelines of the local labor agreement. Closing date for the submission of bids is:
- Training or equivalent work experience in basic electricity, basic electronics, and data transmission.
- Ability to maneuver and climb ladders, work aloft and lift a minimum of 75 lbs.
- Ability to work below ground in close quarters in a controlled environmental vault (CEV)
- Proficient PC skills to include use of Microsoft products, electronic mail, keyboard commands and ability to navigate the Internet
- Ability to visually identify all colors used in telephone cable
- Demonstrated analytical problem solving skills
- Proven ability to successfully communicate with customers
- Ability to work alone on critical problems; often occurs during night hours
- Ability to work flexible shifts, weekends, overtime, call-outs and stand-by
- Possession of a valid Driver’s License and an acceptable driving record
- MUST be able to obtain security credentials from Kansas City International Airport
- Outside plant operations or equivalent technical experience
- Two (2) years' experience working with central office switching equipment, special circuits, pair gains, and/or private line testing
- Working knowledge of wiring, testing, turnup, and troubleshooting special circuits (DS1, DS3, ISDN, PRI, & Ethernet) using test equipment (TPI, T-Berd, Acterna), mux optioning, Channel Banks, and CMTs.
- Working knowledge of DMS and/or 5ESS switches.
- Working knowledge of Tellabs 532 DACS, Alcatel 1631 DACS, Cisco routers, Redback networks, Adtran 2800 & 2820 Mux.
CenturyLink is an industry-leading provider of communications, high speed Internet and entertainment services from coast to coast. Our combination of business and residential service solutions – including home and wireless voice solutions and digital television – provide innovative solutions to our customers. CenturyLink is proud to be a participant in the U.S. General Services Administration Networx program, the largest communications services contract in the world. CenturyLink offers you the opportunity to develop and cultivate your career as we lead the communications industry into the future.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
Qwest Communications - 17 months ago