The City of Charlotte, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Utilities Department, is seeking an Administrative Officer-III (Division Budget Officer) to work in our Field Operations Division. CMUD is one of the largest public water and sewer service providers in the Southeast. We value competent, skilled candidates with a service focus to work in a team environment.
Responsible administrative and program coordination work that involves major administrative functions and processes, such as fiscal and budget administration, research, program administration and analysis and preparation of recommendations and reports; equipment invoice processing, inventory, and other financial support functions for the Utilities Field Operations Division. Works closely with Zone Managers and staff members; performs special assignments and prepares periodic and/or special reports. Generally includes extensive internal and/or external contacts of a difficult or advanced nature.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Compiles, prepares and coordinates preparation of departmental or major divisional budget requests of a complex nature; monitors the implementation of the budget; verifies charges, reviews daily and monthly status reports. Initiates the transfer of funds.
Monitor and process all equipment invoices and submit to Accounting for payment.
Assists in the development of new methods or procedures. (Related to preparation of budget, invoice process, inventory, records collection, data reporting, etc.) Works with departmental administrators in implementation; evaluates the methods or programs and recommends modifications as necessary.
Monitors budget administration for several division cost centers and prepares costing information and reports.
Analyzes data and indicators to identify trends and recommend action if necessary.
Provides assistance in the development, monitoring, and management of the financial plan that supports the capital improvement program.
Works closely with staff members responsible for budget administration and equipment purchase.
Performs special assignments for management, prepares periodic and special reports as requested.
- Graduation from a four–year college or university with major course work in public or business administration, accounting, budget or closely related field.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable experience in public management and administration involving staff and support services.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of municipal and business administration.
- Knowledge of City and other governmental financial reporting and accounting procedures, or the ability to acquire such knowledge during a reasonable period of training.
- Knowledge of the principles and policies of budget preparation and administration.
- Ability to prepare and analyze financial and other management reports.
- Ability to analyze administrative problems, to make sound recommendations as to their solutions, and to prepare working procedures.
- A self-starter.
- Strong computer skills using spreadsheets, databases, word processing and flow charting.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, and make presentations.
- Ability to work independently and establish working relationships with other employees.
- Sedentary in nature
- Lifting (30 pounds)
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online.
Conditions of Employment:
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments. Some positions may require the ability to obtain a City Driving Permit. Candidates may also be required to pass a physical examination, polygraph exam, other skill evaluations and background check screens. Criminal conviction checks are required on final internal and external candidate(s) applying for positions with the City of Charlotte.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
City of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County - 18 months ago