Tribune is one of the country's leading multimedia companies, operating businesses in publishing, digital and broadcasting. In publishing, Tribune's leading daily newspapers include the Los Angeles Times, Chicago Tribune, The Baltimore Sun, Sun Sentinel (South Florida), Orlando Sentinel, Hartford Courant, The Morning Call and Daily Press. The company's broadcasting group operates 23 television stations, WGN America on national cable and Chicago's WGN-AM. Popular news and information websites complement Tribune's print and broadcast properties and extend the company's nationwide audience.
The Area: Marketing and Circulation
Marketing and Circulation is a complex and matrixed organization within Tribune that consists of Customer Care, Customer Operations Support, Marketing Analysis and Acquisition. These four organizations come together to reduce our print business cost infrastructure, to transform our core Tribune print brands to digital brands, to provide our audiences with shopping and grocery print and digital offerings, to create services for small businesses; to build new capabilities and to monetize our core capabilities by offering our Tribune services to other businesses.
The Role: Lead Planning & Analytics
The Planning and Analytics lead is responsible for driving the cross-company shared services team in the successful completion of duties. Providing forward looking analyses in areas such as expense, revenue, audience, preprint, sales, bad-debt and others. The P&A lead is the primary resource for providing strategic, decision-supporting analytics for the circulation and marketing functions throughout Tribune Publishing. The P&A lead will manage a group of analysts across a large geographic footprint and will report to the Vice President, Business Intelligence and Customer Analytics.
The Shared Services Planning & Analysis Individual is responsible for the overall output and support provided by Marketing Analytics group as it relates to forecasting and analytic functions. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Managing a group of 5 Analysts across a geographically diverse footprint
- Successfully provide periodic forecasting related to Marketing and Circulation functions including circulation levels, sales activities, retention, pricing and other mission-critical metrics
- Review periodic metric reporting and provide a discussion of past performance as well as recommendations for changes in future performance to the extent it varies from expected
- Provide support and identify opportunities to improve performance, through extensive process review and through best practices across other Tribune Business units on a periodic basis
- Working directly with Data shared services, identify pricing and other strategies, models and processes to drive profitability of circulation & marketing functions
- Primary resource for annual operating plan process for all Tribune Publishing Units
- Lead the strategic and annual operating plan processes for all Tribune Publishing Units
- Act as primary liaison to other business units on standardizing processes, implementing best practices and proposing new standardized processes in order to best capitalize on all our resources and knowledge
- Work with VP, Business Intelligence and Customer Analytics to develop strategies for achieving greater economies of scale/industrialization across circulation and marketing functions within Tribune Publishing.
- Work directly with circulation and marketing management of the business units supported to ensure customer service focus as well as understanding individual business unit/department goals and how P&A aligns best with these objectives
- Successfully manage, motivate, develop and integrate a significant talent pool across a national geography
- Continue to work with home business unit, as deemed necessary, on supporting circulation/marketing initiatives.
- B.S / B.A degree in Business Management, Business Administration or a related discipline; Master's degree a plus
- Seven plus (7+) years of progressive broad-based leadership experience that includes a strong background in reporting, quality processes, consumer customer service and contract administration;
- Five plus (5+) years supervisory/management experience with ability to influence the broader Tribune organization
- Natural leader and excellent communicator with strong organizational and analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Well established project management skills for a high-velocity agile environment.
- Quantitative skills and significant budget and management skills
- Superior analytic and strategic skill set, including an ability to understand the functions of our business units and the strategies that drive their behavior.
- · Must have excellent communication skills (written/verbal)
- Superior understanding of circulation and marketing facets of our current business models and markets
- Superior ability to manage a wide variety of staff, with differing levels of competency across a national geography. Demonstrated ability to develop staff, provide career paths and procure highly-qualified new talent.
- Demonstrated ability to gather, prioritize, a number of varied objectives
- Must have impeccable integrity and work ethic; be self motivated and take the initiative.
- Requires some travel
Tribune Company - 14 months ago