As a key member of the executive management team, the Assistant Vice President oversees one or more College functions to fulfill comprehensive program goals and contributes to overall College strategic objectives. He/she plans and implements a range of successful programs; and oversees staff, budget, operations, and facilities.
Assistant Vice President
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
The Assistant Vice President of Communications and Marketing is responsible for presenting the College's accomplishments, activities, and priorities to a wide variety of external and internal audiences through vehicles that include the media, marketing collateral, advertising, e-mail, social media, the Web, and internal publications. The Assistant Vice President is charged with generating positive media coverage about the college, developing marketing efforts and materials to recruit higher quality graduate and undergraduate students, and raising money from alumni and foundations, as well as with improving internal communications among Hunter College faculty, staff, and students. The Assistant Vice President reports to the President and serves as a communications and marketing liaison with all other senior staff. In conjunction with senior staff, s/he will develop the core marketing messages for the College and ensure that they are presented clearly and consistently through all external and internal communications.
- Improve the public image of Hunter College so that it yields increased alumni giving and major gifts, better faculty, and higher quality students.
Communications & Marketing
- Set media relations strategies and plans.
- Direct all aspects of media relations to further the goals of the President and the college.
- Serve as chief spokesperson for the college.
- Media train key faculty and staff.
- Serve as liaison with public relations agencies.
- Manage crisis communications.
- Recruit and supervise a group of full- and part-time writers, graphic designers, and student interns.
- Oversee preparation and content of official speeches given by the President and other senior administrators.
- Review campus-wide and external communications, marketing materials, and Web sites to ensure they fit in with the overall Hunter marketing plan.
- Responsible for the President's major campus-wide internal and external communications, such as the Open Line and the President's major speeches.
- Implement strategies that promote a consistency of communication and branding in all campus materials and communications.
- Evaluate advertising opportunities and work with other departments to determine the best advertising strategies for the college.
- Serve as the point person for the Princeton Review Best Colleges Guide. Ensure they receive the most up-to-date descriptions about the college.
- Produce brochures and other marketing materials to support Hunter's efforts to sell the college to potential donors and others.
- Use social media to drive awareness of and attention to events, speeches, and other College activities.
- Assume primary responsibility for maintaining the Hunter College News Web site, including the faculty database.
- Improve use of the Web and e-mail to disseminate Hunter news and information college-wide and enhance the "brand" for marketing and recruiting purposes.
- Perform other related duties, as requested, to support the President and help meet the college's public relations, marketing, and fundraising goals.
This position is in CUNY's Executive Compensation Plan. All executive positions require a minimum of a Bachelor's degree and eight years' related experience. Additional qualifications are defined below by the College.
Bachelor's degree and at least ten years of demonstrated success within marketing and/or communications are required. The successful candidate must have proven organizational and communication skills (oral and written); ability to motivate, manage multiple projects, and partner with key personnel throughout the College. The candidate must be an intelligent, articulate individual with a high energy level and drive.
Candidate must have supervised a professional communications staff and have a strong record of accomplishment planning and directing an integrated media relations and communications program (print and electronic) that includes editorial, design, advertising, and photography. Experience with marketing, print production, and video production functions highly desirable.
- Candidate must be a creative, strategic thinker with excellent planning and analytical abilities and demonstrated administrative, leadership and interpersonal skills
- Experience with crisis communications and serving as institutional spokesperson in a wide variety of situations required
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, to many kinds of audiences, including the media
- Experience writing speeches and/or supervising this function
- Candidate will have worked closely with an organization's top executives and have successfully managed freelancers and consultants
- Experience with fund raising and alumni communications a plus
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the application instructions. Current users of the site should access their established accounts; new users should click on the appropriate link to register. Please have your curriculum vitae and cover letter with names and contact information (addresses/telephone numbers/email) of 5 professional references available to attach into the application before you begin. Referees will not be contacted without applicant's prior approval. The required material as stated above must be uploaded as ONE document. The document must be in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format.
Open until filled with review of resumes to begin May 3, 2012.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Executive
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.
CUNY - 2 years ago