- HS graduate/GED plus four (4) years of progressively more responsible office and administrative experience. Post high school education/training may be substituted for two (2) years experience.
- One year of relevant post-high school computer technical education, training and/or experience.
- Experience with Microsoft Windows, word processing, e-mail software, and web browsers.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience with basic accounting and an understanding of financial principles, policies and procedures.
- Experience in providing customer service for face-to-face and telephone communications.
- Experience with event and meeting coordination including logistics coordination.
- Experience formatting, drafting, or writing routine to complex correspondence and meeting materials.
**Any offer of employment is contingent on the successful completion of a pre-employment background check. **
- Additional education or experience in a related field.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience supporting more than one professional at a time.
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills and enjoys helping people.
- Ability to work with diverse populations.
- Understanding of basic network concepts and functionality within the MS Windows operating system.
- Experience with MS Office Suite
- Experience with database entry and functions.
- Excellent organization and prioritization of multiple tasks and filing systems skills.
- Expert-level working with detail and accuracy with adherence to deadlines and simultaneous, multiple tasks.
- Knowledge and understanding of financial policies and procedures.
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
- Ability to make decisions in a timely manner.
- Ability to access and integrate information from a variety of sources.
- Capable of serving as a liaison or coordinator within and between different work teams.
- Professional demeanor for representing the University.
- Solid experience with personal computer systems including solving technical problems.
- Typing speed of 50 wpm (applicants must provide a certified typing test summary or verification from MN WorkForce Center, temporary agency, or school)
General Duties and Responsibilities:
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as a productive professional and positive team player by being flexible and adaptable to change, is proactive in developing efficiencies, focusing on details, making appropriate decisions, and maintaining effective communications.
- Manages tasks by completing jobs with timeliness and accuracy.
- Manages, prioritizes and evaluates workload tasks and regularly communicates schedules and tasks with supervisor.
- Maintains knowledge and understanding of University of Minnesota and Extension policies and procedures and serves as a resource for other staff.
- Uses effective problem-solving and troubleshooting techniques within the scope of job duties.
- Shares ideas and makes recommendations to improve and enhance workplace efficiencies.
- Maintains confidentiality of data.
1. Provide Support to assigned Extension Educators (25%)
2. Provide Support to Regional Director (10%)
- Makes program arrangements in a thoughtful and thorough fashion
- Completes assignments with accuracy in a timely manner
- Creates handouts, displays, presentations, newsletters, reports and brochures that enhance Extension Educators' work
- Deals well with multiple, competing demands
- Identifies and analyzes the project upfront, including purpose, audience, parameters, and deadline
3. Provide Regional Office Financial Management Support (10%)
- Assists Regional Director in maintaining communications to County Extension Committee and County Commissioners (database management, communication management)
- Assists Regional Director in assembling agendas and supporting materials for County Extension Committee meetings
- Secures and/or prepares quarterly budget reports for County Extension Offices
- Assists Regional Director in preparing budget projections and recommendations
- Monitors Regional Office budget and expenditures
- Serves as Regional Office key contact for office supply and office equipment maintenance vendors
- Greets walk-in traffic and fields phone calls, directing clients to the appropriate person/resource
- Participates in monthly Communications teleconferences
- Serves as the county connection to support phone book listings, signage, University branding, etc.
- Serves as the media contact for the region (updating and coordinating media information)
- Supports the promotion of new templates and Extension communication policies within the region
- Promotes Extension's central messages and communication tools such as answer-line and farm information line
- Supports Regional Director and Extension Educators through working knowledge of Enterprise Financial System and of University and Extension financial policies
- Reviews and processes expense reimbursement for Regional Director, regional and local Extension Educators, and Program Coordinators
- Makes purchases for Regional Office with Purchasing card and reconciles P-card
- Makes deposits for Regional Office for miscellaneous reimbursements
- Prepares invoice requests for Extension programming
- Processes expense transfers and wire transfers for various programs
- Prepares check requests
- Prepares Purchase Order and non-Purchase Order documentation
4. Provides general support to 4-H Program, events, and activities (50%)
5. Back Up Other Administrative Professionals and Engage in Professional Development (5%)
- Assists 4-H Extension Educator, Regional Programmer (RP) and local staff in managing growth and delivery of 4-H programming
- Assists counties and Extension Educator RP with implementation of 4-H components of county fair and other efforts connected to 4-H state fair program (Animal IDs, State Fair Packets, etc.)
- Completes with timeliness and accuracy documents using the Enterprise Financial System (EFS)
- Keeps required financial records in accordance with 4-H Implementation Guide requirements
- Acts as a support and contact for local support staff, providing timely and accurate assistance
- Prepares club re-charter packets accurately and sends them to Program Coordinators at enrollment time in a timely manner
- Works with Extension Educator RP to ensure prompt Program Coordinator approval of charters, and prepares and sends charter certificates and enters charter information in an accurate and timely manner
- Communicates information about 4-H programs and events within the region to appropriate staff, stakeholders, and participants
- Assists the Extension Educator RP in planning, prioritizing, and communicating the work plan
- Communicates financial transactions affecting the Regional Office budget with the 4-H Extension Educator RP and the Regional Director
Office Location: Extension Regional Office, Farmington
- Works with other administrative specialists as part of a cohesive team
- Is open to the suggestions and ideas of others
- Has the skills to back-up all aspects of the other administrative specialists' work
- Participates in all applicable trainings
- Works with other administrative specialists to gain expertise and improve performance
Bargaining Unit: Represented by AFSCME Clerical 6, Local 3800, non-exempt positions, earns over-time, Union Dues are required.
Appointment: 80% (32 hours/week)
Benefits: Full University of Minnesota benefit package applies if appointment is at least 75% time. http://www1.umn.edu/ohr/benefits/bensum/index.html
This is a high level clerical support position key to the daily office operations of the Extension Regional Office in Farmington. The person in this position will work closely with regional directors and Extension educators, who are University academic professional staff members. This person will support multiple professional staff members working in a team with other regional office support staff. The person in this position will also work with local county Extension staff assigned with the Extension Regional Office. Some occasional travel may be required.
Please apply, complete the online application and provide a detailed work history.
You may also attach a resume, cover letter and list of references, but are not required.
In order to have your application materials forwarded to the hiring department, your application and/or resume (if one is attached) must demonstrate relevant experience as described in the Required Qualifications above.
The University of Minnesota is committed to the policy that all persons shall have equal access to its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
Does this position require a background check?