Job Category: Software Engineering: Test
Location: Redmond, WA, US
Job ID: 824603-102378
Division: Microsoft Research
Microsoft Translator, also known as Bing Translator, is the second largest automatic translation service on the web. We are a small and dedicated group, with releases every month, focused on delivering the best quality translations for our web users, and for internal and external partners. We integrate with key Microsoft internal partners - Office, Bing & IE. With direct access to the Natural Language Processing (NLP) and Machine Translation (MT) researchers in the group, we incubate, implement and deliver the newest technologies without delay.
We are looking for strong Software Development Engineer in Test who is passionate about shipping robust and scalable cloud services platform and setting standard for quality in services environment. As part of the core engineering team, the challenge will be building automated measurements for language quality of the large-scale distributed MT system. The problem is similar to relevancy in web search, how do you know we return good machine translations for the various types of user requests. The job requires you to independently own the testing of the huge and complex translation quality system and be able to identify and understand key customer scenarios and implement test infrastructure to quantify the same.
We are a team with blurred lines among various disciplines. If you want to work on hard technical challenges, have large impact on improving quality of service engineering, then this could be the position for you. Entrepreneurship, passion, and self-drive are important qualities for the candidate to succeed in the team. This could be the best job you ever had & I guarantee you will have excellent dinner conversations with your friends regarding the cool stuff you work on!
This is where we are going, want to be a part of it?
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Understanding the Customer usage and build metrics that help improve the MT system.
- Design and implement shared test framework components
- Define test plans for core feature areas
- Reviewing and providing feedback on product designs & specifications
- Close coverage gaps and investigate/debug test and product issues
- Partnering with development and program management teams to cost, plan, and deliver high quality Distributed MT Service
- 6+ years of experience in developing commercial software
- Excellent cross-group collaboration, communication and influencing skills
- At least two full release cycles shipping products
- Self-motivated, self-directed, and able to work alongside a high-energy team
- Strong design, coding and debugging skills in C/C++/C#/Java
- BS+ in Computer Science or equivalent
- Strong technical background and solid foundation in software engineering principles, design, and testing
Microsoft - 18 months ago
Microsoft Corporation develops, manufactures, licenses and supports a range of software products for computing devices. The Company's...