At Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island (BCBSRI), diversity and inclusion are central to our core values and strengthen our ability to meet the challenges of today's healthcare industry. BCBSRI is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. We provide equal opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.
Examine and review cost records to ensure cost data is allocated correctly by product, business unit and general ledger. Apply knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures to make decisions regarding expense allocations. Reconcile general ledger accounts, provides reporting and analysis and performs a variety of ad hoc tasks to support the activities of the division.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS (nature and scope of position, maximum of 10):
- Research, calculate and analyze cost accounting records. Verify the accuracy of accounting summaries and resolve inconsistencies. Review cost center and operating expense activities to identify the final cost objectives or lines of business are incurring charges.
- Participate in the monthly and annual financial close process. Record accruals and adjust journal entries to the general ledger accounting system.
- Reconcile general ledger accounts to explain balances and validate appropriateness of balances to internal and external auditors.
- Assist in the preparation of standard cost schedules. Perform analysis of cost allocation and update changes as needed to support the Budget team.
- Provide detailed explanations to fluctuations in expenses on a monthly basis to support variance analysis on financial statements, budget-to-actual and executive reports.
- Apply Cost Accounting Standards and Federal Acquisition Regulation and Accounting Standards to operating expenses to ensure expenses are allocated and properly capitalized or expensed in accordance with company and audit standards.
- Assist with department initiatives and projects as needed. Provide ad hoc reporting and analysis for corporate initiatives, management requests and business partners throughout the organization.
- Participate in inter-department work groups with the development of applications and process, recommend creative solutions for business owner reporting needs and troubleshoot integration issues of financial applications with other systems.
- Assist team with department initiatives and projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience:
Preferred Education, Additional Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Economics or Finance; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- One year of analysis, accounting, finance or other related experience
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities:
- Experience with Solomon, EAS, CDS, Concur, Business Objects, Cognos Reporting, Ceridian, Puridiom and/or Callidus
- Familiarity with OPEX / CAPEX Accounting
- Familiarity with Accounting standards
- Understanding of Cost Accounting Standards
- Knowledge of managerial accounting practices
- Familiarity with reading and interpreting Financial Statements
- Ability to research data, identify trends and recommend appropriate actions
- Detail oriented
- Ability to work successfully in a matrix environment
- Demonstrated written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to exercise sound judgment
- Ability to take initiative in finding solutions to difficult and/or sensitive problems
- Ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with various stakeholders
- Ability to organize work efficiently to meet established time and quality standards
- Good organization skills
- Good time management skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Suite of products; i.e., Word, Excel, PPT, etc