Support the laboratory function of providing diagnostic information for use in patient care by ensuring proper collection and processing of laboratory specimens. Perform or assist with special procedures; mentor/orient students and new employees; ensure workflow meets service delivery needs. Respond effectively to member, clinicians, nursing staff and other department needs.
- Perform order entry, specimen collection, and processing according to work instructions (WI), clarify clinician orders; obtain pertinent patient information; accurately identify patients; determine specimen requirements and collect patient sample using appropriate process of venipuncture or capillary collection based on patient age and/or condition.
- Assure completeness and accuracy of specimen labeling.
- Obtain and enter appropriate patient or specimen information into laboratory computer system.
- Provide good customer service to all members.
- Prioritize workload according to urgency of request; coordinate activities of the phlebotomy and laboratory service/technical assistant workgroups to meet operational service needs.
- Act as resource for medical or laboratory staff.
- Provide information and facilitate specimen or order problem investigation and resolution.
- Using appropriate resources make decisions as required for sample collection and patient processing.
- Facilitate communication between phlebotomists and laboratory service/technical assistants in problem solving and member assistance, triaging to supervisor as needed.
- Provide instructions to physicians, nursing staff, and patients in proper specimen collection, answering related questions accurately.
- Evaluate, process, and coordinate specimens for testing and/or shipping by following applicable WI.
- Centrifuge, aliquot, separate, refrigerate, freeze, or handle specimens as required to maintain specimen integrity.
- Consult computer information for special handling instructions, referring questions to client services or technical specialist(s) for additional handling or shipping instructions when indicated. Complete appropriate forms as applicable.
- Use laboratory computer system to obtain patient demographics, perform order entry, enter pertinent clinical information, generate barcode labels, and ensure tracking of each test ordered and each specimen collected and/or received.
- Use laboratory information computer system to track specimens.
- Perform all duties required of laboratory service/technical assistant.
- Assist clinician or pathologists with bone marrow collection and processing.
- Perform isolation procedures, bacterial, acid-fast, and fungal blood cultures, blood smear preparation, microbiology set-up and code blue response as required and ordered by clinician
- Remain current in new and revised work instructions and lab and organizational policies.
- Assist supervisor, coordinator, or specialist in identifying and reporting any procedural discrepancies.
- Complete annual requirements.
- Provide input into development or revision of procedures to meet operational needs.
- Support department workflow and records maintenance through accurate workload recording, quality assurance monitors, supply inventory, quality control checks, and records.
- Completion of the experience practicum in an Accredited Phlebotomy program OR
- Three years recent phlebotomy experience in a multi-patient laboratory setting.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Demonstrated customer-focused service skills
- Demonstrated understanding of basic phlebotomy principles and techniques
- Detail oriented, able to handle multiple tasks in a limited time frame
- Able to produce high quantity/quality of work, problem solve, exercise good judgment
- Able to bend, stoop, reach and lift minimum of 10 pounds.
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills with command of the English language
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills, teamwork
- Working knowledge of keyboard/data entry
- 4 or more years phlebotomy experience in a multi-patient laboratory setting including geriatric, pediatrics, inpatient, and/or difficult phlebotomy draws
- National Phlebotomy certification
- Thorough understanding of phlebotomy principles and techniques and phlebotomy equipment
- Thorough understanding of sample collection requirements
- Knowledge of Medical Terminology
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated excellence in interpersonal skills, teamwork, independent worker
- Leadership skills
$17.77 - $21.34
Kaiser Permanente - 12 months ago
Can a single organization change the future of health care? At Kaiser Permanente, we think so. America's leading nonprofit integrated health...