The incumbent serves as an International Broadcaster (TV/Online) for the Ukrainian Service.
THIS POSITION IS COVERED BY A UNION AGREEMENT
Note: Budgetary conditions may delay or otherwise affect filling this vacancy. However, all interested candidates should apply now.
The Broadcasting Board of Governors is conveniently located within walking distance to the Green, Yellow and Blue Metro lines.
INTRODUCTION TO AGENCY
The Broadcasting Board of Governors (BBG), an independent federal agency, is an exciting, multi cultural organization that encompasses all U.S. civilian international broadcasting. The BBG is comprised of the Voice of America, which delivers high quality, multimedia programming in 44 languages to audiences worldwide; the Office of Cuba Broadcasting (Radio and TV Marti); the International Broadcasting Bureau, which provides transmission, administrative, and other support services; and three grantee organizations - Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty; the Middle East Broadcasting Networks (Alhurra TV and Radio Sawa), and Radio Free Asia. Our staff of dedicated professionals serves as an example of a free and independent media, reaching a worldwide audience with news, information, and relevant discussions.
THIS VACANCY IS BEING ADVERTISED UNDER COMPETITIVE PROCEDURES AND IS OPEN TO U.S. CITIZENS ONLY.
THIS VACANCY IS BEING CONCURRENTLY ADVERTISED UNDER EXCEPTED SERVICE PROCEDURES FOR ALL NON-U.S. CITIZENS UNDER ANNOUNCEMENT NO. NC-13-999.
NOTE: YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS DE-13-99 VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT WILL ONLY ALLOW CONSIDERATION FOR THIS POSITION. WE CANNOT MANUALLY MOVE YOUR APPLICATION TO THE CONCURRENTLY ADVERTISED NC-13-999 ANNOUNCEMENT. PLEASE ENSURE YOU ARE APPLYING UNDER THE CORRECT ANNOUNCEMENT.
The Full Performance Level: 12
- U.S. Citizens ONLY
- Candidates MUST complete the Online Questionnaire.
- Relocation expenses WILL NOT be paid.
- Selectee will be subject to an investigation for suitability determination.
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
· Produces original content, curates crowd-sourced materials and adapts news and information for publication on the Ukrainian online outlets
· Uses social media tools and networks to source and verify news and information, and to engage Ukrainian speaking audiences
· Selects and edit multimedia content to add value to reports and takes full advantage of the webs capabilities
· Serves as a video-journalist using small broadcast-quality digital television cameras to cover news events and feature stories of particular interest to the target audience occurring in domestic and overseas locations
· Writes news, news-related, and feature material for use in television, radio, new media(web) programming
Basic Qualifications : Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level which is directly related to this line of work and MUST be bilingual in Ukrainian AND English with the ability to report, write, and research and accurately translate in both languages.
Specialized Experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. Examples are: experience in writing or editing news stories/news analyses, and/or feature stories in English AND Ukrainian for a recognized news publication such as a daily newspaper or a weekly news magazine; or for a wire service such as AP, UPI, or Reuters; or a TV station, such as ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, CNN or Fox News, etc. Such experience must have clearly demonstrated the ability to (1) understand and write about domestic AND international affairs, (2) write for audiences of varying backgrounds and interests, (3) write under deadline pressure, and (4) exercise sound and independent editorial judgment.
Suitability Determination: If selected, you will be subject to a security investigation to establish your suitability for federal employment. The security investigation will include, among other aspects, a review of your credit and legal history.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements and competencies.
To assist in determining if you are qualified for this job, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the occupational questionnaire. If, after reviewing your resume and supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience your score can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Providing false information may be grounds for not selecting you or termination after appointment. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
- Domestic/Foreign Policy
Competitive Examining Procedures:
Once the application process is complete, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements. Your application will be evaluated and rated under the Category Rating and Selection Procedures. Your resume and supporting documentation will be reviewed and compared to your responses on the occupational questionnaire or KSAs (as applicable) to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. If you meet the minimum qualifications for this job, your qualifications will be further reviewed by a Human Resources Specialist, to assess the quality, depth, and complexity of your accomplishments, experience, and education as they relate to the critical experience requirements listed in this vacancy announcement. You will then be placed in one of three rating categories:
VETERANS PREFERENCE: "Application of Veterans' Preference: the Category Rating Method does not add veterans' preference points, but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who do not have a service-connected disability of 10 percent or more will be assigned to the appropriate quality category based upon the job-related assessment and will be listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within the appropriate quality category.
- Qualified Category - Meets the specialized experience outlined in the minimum qualifications requirements section of the vacancy announcement.
- Well Qualified Category - Meets the basic qualification requirements for the vacancy announcement and demonstrates proficiency in the critical competencies for this position.
- Best Qualified Category - Meets the basic qualification requirements for the vacancy announcement and has successful experience in the same or similar job that has demonstrated "outstanding" proficiency in applying knowledge, skill, and ability in the critical competencies for this position to work of increased levels of difficulty and complexity.
The Federal Government offers exceptional benefits to employees, including opportunities for training and advancement, health Insurance, vacation and sick leave, life insurance, long term care insurance, retirement benefits, flexible spending accounts, and public transportation subsidies. The link below provides an overview of the benefits currently offered to Federal Employees: http://www.usajobs.gov/ResourceCenter/Index/Interactive/Benefits#icc
1. If you are an eligible Inter agency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) applicant you may apply for special selection over other candidates for this position . To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85 or above on the rating criteria for this position. ICTAP eligibles must submit one of the following as proof of eligibility for the special selection priority: a separation notice; a "Notice of Personnel Action" (SF-50) documenting separation; an agency certification that you cannot be placed after injury compensation has been terminated; an OPM notification that your disability annuity has been terminated; OR a Military Department or National Guard Bureau notification that you are retired under 5 U.S.C. 8337(h) or 8456.
2. If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-point veterans' preference, you must attach a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference , you must attach an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form.
If you are still on active duty, you may submit a statement of service from your Personnel Command which states the date you entered active duty, the date you are separating, and the campaign medals you have received. For more information on the VRA, consult the Vets Guide at: http://www.fedshirevets.gov/hire/hrp/vetguide/index.aspx
3. If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/59 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement. Additional information on the qualification requirements is outlined in the OPM Qualifications Standards Handbook of General Schedule Positions. It is available for your review in our office, in other Federal agency personnel offices, and on OPM's web site at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications .
Additional selections may be made if additional/identical vacancies occur within 90 days of certificate issuance.
usajobs.gov - 16 months ago