Boise State University invites interested applicants for the positions of Senior Developer Analyst, to become a part of our team to continue our quest toward becoming a Metropolitan Research University of Distinction. The Senior Developer/Analyst positions will provide senior-level technical support and expertise for enterprise applications. They require senior level expertise in PeopleSoft development tools, relational databases, and multiple enterprise applications (ERP). The duties include providing production support (including after normal working hours), developing software, and maintaining and enhancing various enterprise applications. The Senior Developer/Analyst coordinates small to medium sized projects, mentors lesser-experienced colleagues in software development methods and techniques, and provides coverage for their manager by performing duties of the manager in a backup capacity. The Senior Developer/Analysts must be able to independently define tasks and set priorities required to complete the objectives/purpose of all software development efforts and/or to resolve production problems by established due dates.
You will have the opportunity to:
- Develop, maintain, and enhance enterprise and non enterprise applications and interfaces for one or more functional areas
- Perform software development and technical tasks, such as investigation, analysis, design, coding, debugging, testing, and implementation.
- Work independently on complex application development tasks (such as those that cross organizational boundaries and/or applications), independently defining tasks and setting priorities appropriately so that established due dates negotiated with clients and/or manager are met.
- Consult with clients to gather information about needs, objectives, functions, performance expectations, and input and output requirements.
- Review, analyze, and understand functional requirements and functional specifications documents to determine whether all required elements are included, and if not, request that clients revise specifications by adding missing elements.
- Identify and propose technical alternatives to solving client requests and system problems, and recommend the best alternative by weighing client requirements, functionality, performance, time to implement, long-term maintainability, extensibility, and customer self-sufficiency.
- Create written documentation and diagrams as required and/or requested, which are clear and can be understood by colleagues and manager. Documentation may include technical specifications, technical alternatives, structure charts, data flow diagrams, etc. for both new programs and for modifications to existing programs.
- Use programming languages, software development methods, “best practice” programming techniques, and department standards guides to code new software programs and to modify existing software programs to meet user requirements, to function efficiently and effectively, and to comply with departmental standards.
- Create and modify application batch programs and database objects (on-line programs, menus, record layouts, queries, reports, programs and scripts) as needed.
- Consult and collaborate with members of OIT, including PeopleSoft Administrators, DBA’s, Microsoft and Unix administrators to solve technical and/or system problems.
- Conduct code reviews and explain proposed technical solutions to clients and colleagues.
- Estimate time required to complete technical tasks and ensure that due dates negotiated with clients and/or manager are met without sacrificing quality.
- Communicate revised estimates and/or target completion dates to supervisor as soon as it is evident that a due date negotiated with clients and/or manager can not be met.
- Identify and bundle code modifications and create migration instructions per department standards to facilitate efficient and effective migration/deployment.
- Unit test and debug code prior to delivery to client.
- Consult with functional areas as requested to develop their test scenarios, test plans and test scripts.
- Answer client questions regarding software testing results and debug programs that do not deliver correct results.
- Follow department standards to document program logic and modifications in program comments and in request tracking system(s).
- Write and maintain documentation to describe program development, logic, coding, testing, changes, and corrections.
- Professionally conduct meetings as needed or requested by preparing and distributing agendas and other written documents, keeping meetings on track, and publishing minutes.
- Provide on-going production support for one or more enterprise applications.
- Provide production support and on-call support including problem analysis and resolution, including during and after work hours.
- Collaborate with various groups (clients, help desk, technical infrastructure staff) to identify and resolve application issues.
- Create SQL scripts to correct data and/or to create ad-hoc reports.
- Review, analyze, and troubleshoot vendor-supplied updates and fixes.
- File support case(s) with PeopleSoft/Oracle, answer questions from and supply requested information to vendor support representative, and follow up to obtain resolution.
- Reapply customizations as needed to objects affected by updates and fixes and upgrades.
- Provide mentoring, software development knowledge and expertise, and technical leadership for the team.
- Demonstrate proficiency in Applications Designer and PeopleCode.
- Demonstrate proficiency in one of more of these areas: PeopleSoft Application Engine, PeopleSoft Integration Tools, PeopleSoft Data Mover, SQR, COBOL, Oracle PL/SQL, Java, JSP.
- Demonstrate proficiency in relational databases and SQL.
- Demonstrate proficiency in object-oriented programming and row sets as implemented by PeopleSoft
- Mentor and train both new and lesser-experienced colleagues to use software development tools, methods, “best practices”, departmental standards, and technology used by the department.
- Assist new and less-experienced staff members in understanding client requirements.
- Assist new and less-experienced staff members in reviewing requirements, functional specifications, technical specifications, code, etc. and identifying the method which best balances client requirements, functionality, performance, time to implement, long-term maintainability, extensibility, and customer self-sufficiency.
- Demonstrate proficiency in understanding PeopleSoft table structures.
- Lead the team in overall knowledge of enterprise applications, development tools, upgrade methodologies, etc. and share and instill that knowledge in colleagues.
- Participate in recruiting efforts for new developers and other technical staff as requested by manager.
- Lead and coordinate small to medium-sized projects as assigned by manager, defining required tasks, estimating completion dates for them, and following up with developers doing the tasks to ensure that due dates negotiated with clients and/or manager are met.
- Independently prioritizes the completion of tasks and resolution of issues to ensure compliance to project budget and deliverables.
- Analyze and resolve dependency and integration issues across applications and organizations.
- Responsible for the coordination of parts of large projects or managing small to medium projects as assigned.
- Devise and conduct workshops, seminars, “brown bag” sessions in technical topics as appropriate.
- Propose training requirements for self and colleagues to gain and to maintain proficiency in technical competencies.
- Provide backup coverage for manager as requested, by attending meetings, responding to requests to resole and/or escalate issues, reporting status to management, collecting time sheets, etc.
- Maintain proficiency in enterprise applications and development tools, including Peoplesoft.
- Stay abreast of changes to software development technology and collaborate with manager and colleagues in how to implement and leverage new and changing technology.
- Attend technical training and/or conferences as approved by manager and which occur at times and locations that benefit the department. These events require travel to distant locations.
- Attend workshops, seminars, “brown bag” sessions, etc. as appropriate
- Bachelor’s or equivalent professional experience
- 5 or more years in similar type of work
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the software development life cycle.
- Demonstrated knowledge and proficiency in relational databases, SQL, and SQL query tool(s) such as Oracle SQL*Plus.
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge of most of the following software, languages, and tools, or similar products:
- PeopleTools (Application Designer)
- PeopleSoft Application Engine
- PeopleSoft Integration Tools
- PeopleSoft SQR
- PeopleSoft Data Mover
- Oracle PL/SQL
- Crystal Reports
- Unix or a variation (including Telnet, FTP, etc.)
- MS Word
- MS Excel
- MS Access
- Demonstrated advanced analytical and troubleshooting skills with complex technical subjects and tasks.
- Excellent communications skills (Oral and written), interpersonal, and organizational skills are required.
- Ability to present and explain complex technical topics, problems, alternative solutions to others.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Information Systems, Management Information Systems or Computer Science
- 3 or more years in same type of work; preferred in software development/programming with an enterprise application or ERP system
Boise State University - 21 months ago