KIPP Central Ohio, a growing network of free, open enrollment public charter schools in
, is seeking a driven, organized, detail-oriented, entrepreneurial individual to serve as its Director of Finance & Operations.
About KIPP Central Ohio
KIPP (Knowledge Is Power Program) is a national network of free, open-enrollment, college-preparatory public schools with a track record of preparing students in underserved communities for success in college and in life. KIPP provides outstanding educators, more time in school learning, and a strong culture of achievement to help all of our students climb the mountain to college. The KIPP network is rapidly growing, with 125 schools currently operating throughout the country with a goal to grow to serve 55,000 students by 2015.
Based in Columbus, Ohio, KIPP Central Ohio was founded in 2008 with the opening of its first school, KIPP Journey Academy. Today, KIPP Journey Academy enrolls more than 300 students in grades 5-8. In the 2010-2011 school year, 97% of KIPP Journey fifth graders met or exceeded their growth goal in reading, the strongest growth of any KIPP school in the country. Locally, KIPP Journey eighth graders outperformed the local district and bested the State Average in nearly all subjects. KIPP Journey Academy was recently named a 2012 EPIC “Silver Gain” school by New Leaders; it was the only KIPP school in the country to be recognized.
Building off of these early successes, KIPP Central Ohio will, in the coming years, open new elementary, middle, and high schools to provide more than 2000 disadvantaged students in the Columbus-area with a high-quality education. To develop, support, and manage these schools, the KIPP Central Ohio regional office will also grow significantly.
To support the mission of KIPP Central Ohio, the Director of Finance & Operations (“DFO”) will design, manage and supervise effective regional operations to ensure that existing and future schools are efficient and sustainable to enable student achievement. In this new leadership position, reporting directly to the Executive Director, the DFO will play a key role in planning the expansion of the region, including the development of a regional
school support center. The school support center will provide financial and operational support and oversight to KIPP Central Ohio schools and will initiate instructional initiatives designed to strengthen the schools' academic programs and further its mission of providing a transformative educational experience to educationally-underserved students in Columbus. He/she will be the chief architect of the systems, policies and procedures that will ensure that the organization is operationally and financially sound as we pursue growth within Columbus, and must have a proven track record of success in building and managing high-performing entrepreneurial teams.
In addition to being a strategic thought partner to the Executive Director, Board and other members of the management team
, the DFO will work closely with School Leaders to manage school-level Business Managers and the region’s Treasurer to ensure strong financial and operational practices
Specifically, the DFO will be responsible for ensuring sound fiscal management, compliance with state and federal regulations, and the safety, security, and well being of our team and family. As the coordinator of site level operations, the Director of Finance & Operations will be responsible for contracting and managing support services including finance and payroll, transportation, IT, food service, custodial, and facility maintenance.
Above all else, the DFO will prove essential in allowing School Leaders, teachers, and other instructional staff to focus on driving student achievement and growth.
A strong spirit of resourcefulness, entrepreneurship and a solutions-oriented “service” approach to all stakeholders (including teachers, non-teaching staff, students, parents, donors, and Board members) will be critical to success.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director on regional strategic planning and growth processes, including the design, build out, and management of the regional school support center staff
- Identify, develop, and implement operational systems and processes that will support highly efficient and effective performance as KIPP Central Ohio continues to grow in size and complexity
- Oversee organizational budgeting and annual planning process, collaborating with the Executive Director and school leadership. Ensure strategic priorities are aligned with budget priorities and translated into rigorous, executable plans that are regularly tracked and managed.
- Analyze and synthesize monthly financial statements for the region, in collaboration with the Treasurer and Executive Director; prepare and present region’s finances to Board of Directors
- Negotiate, execute, and manage contracts for region-wide support services including finance and payroll, transportation, IT, food service, custodial, and facility maintenance
- Lead the acquisition and planning for new facilities, determining cost-effective solutions related to the expansion of the region
- Manage, in conjunction with School Leaders, all regional and school-level operational compliance obligations required by KIPP, charter sponsors, and state and federal agencies
- Assist the Executive Director in implementing strong operational norms in the KIPP Central Ohio regional office
- Minimum of Bachelor's Degree; Graduate degree preferred, with strong preference for candidates with 7+ years of management experience
- Commitment to the belief that outstanding School Leaders, staff, and teachers can achieve excellent outcomes for all students
- Ability to multi-task and work within an ambiguous, fast-moving, start-up environment, while driving toward clarity and solutions
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding investment in people and systems
- Demonstrates extreme focus to details and highly effective communication skills
- Eagerness to confront the entrepreneurial challenges of a young and rapidly growing organization
Salary and benefits are highly competitive and commensurate with experience.
KCO is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, handicap, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds
- 2 years ago - save job