Support Services Clerk - Lab Histology
QUALITY SERVICE SAFETY
We're Healthcare at its Best
The very factors that drive Hackensack University Medical Center to national success are the same ones that drive America's best to us. Employees who value quality, service, and who are energized by career advancement.
Knowledge, Education and Skills Required:
• High school graduate or equivalent.
• Must type 30-40 WPM.
Knowledge, Education and Experience Preferred:
• High school graduate with secretarial or commercial school background.
• Some computer experience and medical terminology.
The Support Services Clerk performs a variety of clerical duties relating to patient specimens and answers inquiries regarding the status of patient results.
Essential Generic Job Functions (List in order if importance):
1. Screens incoming calls and provides information to appropriate medical personnel as needed.
2. Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center's Organizational Competencies.
3. Performs all computer system functions necessary as it relates to results reporting and recordkeeping.
4. Accessions, receives, identifies, labels, centrifuges and distributes specimens to appropriate areas for testing.
5. Couriers specimens from various areas of the Medical Center and Medical Plaza at scheduled times.
6. Couriers tissue blocks, pathology specimens, and pathology requisitions within the department at
7. Packages all tissue blocks, takes photographs and notifies histology when a rack is ready to be
placed in the tissue processor.
8. Verifies the accuracy of all patient data pertaining to the specimen container and corresponding
9. Signs or initials all log books upon receipt of specimen after verification of proper content and
10. Follows up with physician’s officies or points of contact within each department on any test request
with incomplete or illegible information.
11. Responsible for stamping each specimen card with accurate date and time received.
12. Sends kidney stones for chemical analysis, flow cytometry, and cytogenetics cases to appropriate
area and with appropriate paperwork.
13. Labels cassettes, specimen containers and pathology requisition with generated surgical numbers.
14. Sends out specimens to reference labs and other locations as needed.
15. Searches Epic for pertinent patient histories on select cases.
16. Maintains a system for block and slide storage including organizing and recording scheuled trips to outside storage facilities.
17. Maintains a system for filing specimens and preparing for the specimen disposal.
18. Assist with ancillary duties of frozen sections including staining for H&E as needed.
19.Maintain and stock frozen section room.
FULL TIME EVENINGS
EVERY OTHER WEEKEND
Join us by visiting humccareers.com and applying online.
HACKENSACK UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER
When You Feel Good, We Feel Good.
We are an equal opportunity employer offering a smoke free environment.
Hackensack University Medical Center (HUMC) is an acute care teaching and research hospital that serves the residents of northern New Jersey...