Under supervision, performs routine patient care duties to infant through geriatric patients in the home setting, maintaining respect for property and person; performs related work as required.
• Performs patient observation, documents patient care and patient response to care and communicates significant information to the registered nurse and other appropriate team members.
• Assists patients, families with various needs to enhance customer service.
• Plans, shops, and prepares nutritious meals, applying any special dietary guidelines outlined by primary nurse/care plan.
• Performs simple and complex procedures, i.e., activities of daily living, specimen collection, Accu-cheks, removal of dressings, etc.
• Maintains supplies, equipment for the purposes of direct and indirect patient care, quality control, preventative maintenance and environmental safety.
• Records appropriately in client charts and on time sheets as specified within each visit.
• Attends inservices totaling at least twelve hours per year, including American Heart Association BLS every two years, safety and infection control and Hospice skills.
• Monitors and charts vital signs as needed.
• Performs procedures specific to the assigned area, i.e., Foley catheter care; colostomy care; empties drainage systems; housekeeping.
• Utilizes safety practices in daily activities.
• Under the direction of the registered nurse, assists in the education of patients and families.
• Participates in staff development and orientation of new staff.
• Schedules meeting room space for out of hospital groups.
• Regular and reliable attendance.
• Performs other assigned duties.
• High school graduate or equivalent.
• Completion of State of Iowa Completion of 120 hr or 150 hr Certified Nursing Assistant program.
• Basic Life Support (BLS) training or within 90 days of hire and must maintain through employment
• Knowledge of medical terminology.
• Ability to assist nursing personnel with patients; ability to understand and communicate oral and written English; explain procedures and give information; skill in the use of specialized equipment and/or techniques; ability to detect abnormal conditions and report appropriately; able to function promptly and appropriately under stressful conditions. Skill in effective oral and written communication in English.
Possession of a current valid driver's license and must maintain eligibility for coverage under Mary Greeley Medical Center's insurance policy.
Mary Greeley Medical Center - 15 months ago