Portfolio Recovery Associates, Inc. (PRA) is a specialized financial and business services company. A market leader in the consumer debt purchase and collection industry, Portfolio Recovery has a longstanding culture of compliance, engaging collaboratively with its customers to create realistic, affordable repayment plans.
The company provides a broad range of business services to local government, auto lenders, law enforcement, institutional investors, manufacturers and retailers, and U.K. banks and creditors.
Portfolio Recovery was recognized as one of Fortune's 100 Fastest Growing Companies in 2012. The company also was named one of Forbes' Top 25 Best Small Companies in America in 2012, and has been annually ranked as one of Forbes' 100 Best Small Companies since 2007.
We are currently recruiting for a Legal Clerk to join our Legal department located in Norfolk (Virginia Beach), Virginia.
Performs legal tasks in support of Litigation Associate Counsels by performing the following tasks.
- Responsibilities include maintaining and organizing litigation materials; litigation management; processing correspondence, and various clerical duties, including filing/copying/court package assembly. Provide customers service via mail/telephone when needed.
- Reviews accounts for entire legal process.
- Pleading preparation for accounts placed for civil legal action (warrants in debt, interrogatories and garnishments).
- Processes correspondence to attorneys, debtors and courts.
- Maintains close contact with attorneys and courts.
- Maintains litigation, billing and small claims financial spreadsheets.
- Reviews dispute accounts for appropriate handling.
- Responsible for reviewing accounts placed with outside counsel.
- Tracks document requests.
- Processes check requests.
- Acts as a liaison with outside counsel in a network of attorneys and PRA attorneys.
- Makes occasional local court appearances on behalf of the company.
- Serves as trial witness when necessary.
- Negotiates and approves settlement offers in accordance with departmental guidelines.
- Performs Notary duties.
- Maintains a document management system.
Excited about this opportunity? Apply now!
- 1-2 years related litigation experience in a law firm or municipal or state court or equivalent education or training.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Windows and Office software, internet.
- Must have effective organizational, communication, time-management and interpersonal skills and high attention to detail.
- Must be able to handle multiple projects and tasks simultaneously while meeting deadlines.
- Must complete and pass company administered Fair Debt Collection Practices Act training and testing.
We offer a competitive salary to commensurate with experience, as well as an attractive set of benefits to our valued employees. Join our family friendly region while you build a dynamic career with an exciting, growing company. All applicants must successfully pass drug screen and background. Equal Opportunity Employer.