As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT), systems engineering, professional services and simulation and training to customers in the defense, federal civilian government, health, homeland security, intelligence, state and local government and commercial sectors. With approximately 24,000 professionals worldwide, the company delivers IT enterprise solutions, manages large-scale, mission-critical IT programs and provides mission support services. General Dynamics Information Technology is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer.
Manages the design and development of computer software applications.
1. Directly, and through subordinate supervisors, manages employees engaged in the design and development of computer software applications.
2. Primarily supervises exempt Software Engineers.
3. Develops schedules and assigns work to meet critical customer deadlines.
4. Ensures that proper records and other documentation are maintained.
5. May also perform complex software development and design work.
6. Maintains current knowledge of relevant technology as assigned.
7. Participates in special projects as required.
Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical training, or work/military experience.
8-10 years of related software development experience, including supervisory experience.
Manage the application development team(s) that perform the following:
Manages all programming and development efforts using industry-standard project management tools and methodologies (including a documented SDLC process, the java language specification, the .net framework design guidelines for Microsoft languages and c++ coding standard, and input and output validation).
- Work with systems administratiors to monitor and improve response time and application performance
- Conduct application performance tuning
- Support life cycle management (provides quarterly updates to the list of all applications with the latest versions, patches, and fixes; recommend Application upgrades, patches, and fixes, executes Application upgrades, patches, and fixes after approval, provides training for upgraded applications, as needed, updates application-related documentation (user manual, System Design Document, Operation Manual, etc.)
- Manage the packaging of software changes into software releases as approved by the customer with regard to risk mitigation
- Recommend maintenance and repair policies and procedures
- Execute an "application maintenance plan" for all categories of maintenance services (e.g., Minor Enhancements, Corrective Maintenance, Preventative Maintenance, Adaptive Maintenance, and Perfective Maintenance)
- technical and functional support to the customer's application development group and other groups, as directed
- Notify the customer of changes and upgrades to third-party application systems
- Perform diagnostics on software and services and contacting vendor/third-party technical support when necessary
- Perform routine system management on applications
- Recommend DBMS tuning changes
- Provide corrective and emergency maintenance in accordance the customer's approved maintenance and repair policy
- Assist Service Desk with coordination of user-support activities
- Respond to escalated trouble ticket items, in accordance with established procedures
- Follow the customer's Change Management procedures associated with maintenance and support
- Manage the collection of requirements from the customer and develops functional requirements documents, and logical and physical data modes.
- Conduct value assessments of functional requirements and generate an impact analysis, including affected systems, alternative design scenarios, etc.
- Document and recommend requirements for software upgrade conversion requirements for Commercial-Off-The-Shelf (COTS) hardware and software
- Work with the Test Team to recommend and develop application test plan (e.g., functional, volume, end-to-end, integration, stress, regression, system, and user acceptance testing, if applicable)
- Create the high-level design document from the business and functional requirements and maintain a design change log to track design changes
- Define application configuration settings and instructions that support the requirements
- Provide the high-level data models.
- Conduct site surveys for design efforts, as required by the requirements document
- Create the detailed design document from the Business and Functional Requirements and high-level design
- Create the design to contain security features, in compliance with the customer's ecurity policies, including external and customer role-based security models
- Provide planned technology design that specifies all components, program modules, data stores, interfaces, interface components, and associated operations procedures for the application
- Document and present implementation options evaluated as required by the requirements document to support the customer's custom-code process
- Document technical requirements, and logical and physical data models
- Perform all necessary technical design, programming, development, unit and string testing, scripting, configuring or customizing of application modules, as required, to develop and implement the design plans and specifications
- Perform application database administration functions
- Recommend modifications and performance-enhancement adjustments to customer system software and utilities based on the customer's performance standards
- Correct defects found as a result of QA and testing efforts•
- Perform data migration from existing systems to new systems, by either electronic or manual methods
- Provide system and user documentation
- Provide technical training and knowledge transfer to existing customer support personnel, including third-party contractors, during deployment as requested
- Provide training materials related to the technical aspects of the application to the customer as applicable
- Support development of end-user training content for customer applications
- Create and maintain customer training instances or clients, as required by the customer
- Provide Service Desk agent training, including developing dialogue scripts, knowledge base, FAQ, and commonly known issues
- Set up and monitor each layer (database, middle tier, front end) of applications
- Set up and monitor system and services availability from end-user experience
- Respond to system monitoring alarms, and follow customer established process.
Works with PMO Lead to define implementation and deployment procedures; detailed "technical go-live" plan; coordinate deployment and support activities with the customer's appropriate teams.
Provides, maintains, and updates project plans, identifying critical path dependencies, major critical milestones, project deliverables, and "project earned value," as mutually agreed upon by the Parties for selected projects.
Provides weekly status reviews and progress reports for selected mutually agreed-to projects.
Provides monthly service-level performance reports against each Service Level Requirement, including trends for each and a summary view.
Provides monthly milestone achievement review and performance reports.
Maintains and provides an electronic copy of an applications inventory.
Provides mutually agreed-to reports that represent the general health of environments (e.g., number of stranded transports, patches not yet applied) as well as reports that represent demand fulfillment in end-customer terms (e.g., defect corrections/change requests that have slipped against commitment, backlogged defects/change requests, Severity Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3 defects).
Defines SLRs, problem Severity Levels, and reporting cycles.
Measures and analyzes performance relative to requirements.
Develops improvement plans for services that do not meet Service Level Requirements.
Implements improvement SLR plans.
Participates in and support QA compliance assessment.
Provides Service Request Response Time management reports (including a trend line) for new development work that reflects time to provide time and cost estimates.
Reports productivity per developer/tester month by application (i.e., number of lines of code or function points), including trend line. Granularity (new work vs. maintenance) to be mutually agreed. Targets to be set post baseline.
Reports on Average Defect Response Time by Severity Level.
ITIL V3 Foundation Certificate
Security Clearance Level
Security Clearance Basis
Security Clearance Polygraph
Job ID Number
Potential for Deployment
As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT),...