We're looking for just the right Technical Lab Assistant to be responsible for performing complex laboratory procedures in our Microbiology lab. The Microbiology lab provides Hospital and reference lab services. This person will perform initial set up of microbiology samples for test procedures and support to the medical technologists. This position requires the limited exercise of independent judgment and interpretation based on the standard operating procedures performed under the supervision of a medical laboratory technician, medical technologist, technical expert, or department Supervisor.
Under the direction of a qualified Medical Technologist or Medical Laboratory Technician, the Technical Lab Assistant may perform a variety of the following job functions:
- General specimen processing
- Specimen set up/preparation for testing following established procedures in microbiology
- Troubleshoot issues with clinical orders
- Escalate issues to the Lead
- May perform moderate complexity testing
- Operate instruments as assigned. Recognize equipment malfunctions and notify appropriate technical personnel.
- Perform routine quality control and maintain accurate records.
- Recognize out-of-control results and notify technical personnel.
- Demonstrate laboratory technical skills to new caregivers and students.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalent required.
Associates or Bachelor of Science degree preferred.
- Clinical Laboratory experience preferred.
- Working knowledge of specimen collection, preparation, and test requirements and factors affecting test interpretation in responding to inquiries.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Working knowledge of computer systems such as Microsoft Windows, and Microsoft Office programs.
- Mathematical ability to calculate fractions, percentages, ratios, proportion measurements and apply practical algebra.
- General understanding of laboratory equipment to calibrate and do minor repairs.
PeaceHealth - 22 months ago
PeaceHealth, based in Vancouver, Wash., is a not-for-profit Catholic health system offering care to communities in Washington, Oregon, and...