Employment Dates: May/June 2013-August 2013
The incumbent will implement Life Technologies’ environmental, health, safety and sustainability programs at the Eugene, Oregon site. This position supports the Life Technologies global Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) strategy to:
Proactively manage EHS & Sustainability in order to comply with all applicable regulations and Life Technologies’ standards, to achieve a safe work environment and minimize the impact to the environment.
- Evaluate areas for improving the hazardous waste management system and lead minimization efforts which may include the redistillation and recovery of waste solvents.
- Develop a project plan for a keg delivery system for raw material solvents in our chemistry laboratories. Liase with site leaders and external regulatory agencies to accomplish project deliverables.
- Assist with Job Hazard Analysis assessments. Execute established implementation plan. Monitor closure of action items.
- Evaluate areas for improving the Zero Waste program and lead additional waste diversion efforts to sustain >90% diversion of waste to landfill.
- Facilitate the laboratory safety inspection program. Develop critical monthly metrics and action plans based on data trending. Monitor closure of corrective actions.
- Support a culture where employees at all levels take ownership for safety. Engage employees in safety initiatives to eliminate or control safety hazards and reduce risk of an injury or chemical release.
- Participate in the site safety committee, chemical safety committee, and green committee.
- Manage programs within established EHS budget.
- May be required to perform other related duties as required and/or assigned.
BS/MS/PhD in Biochemistry, Chemistry, or related subject. Masters/Doctorate degree preferred.
Must have knowledge of EHS regulations, including OSHA and EPA.
Requires current enrollment in a degree program. Experience in environmental, health, safety and sustainability related discipline and technical/practical knowledge of EHS+S regulations, codes, and guidelines preferred. Demonstrated ability to recognize, evaluate, and recommend controls for workplace hazards. Strong interpersonal and communication skills required, including the ability to interact with outside regulatory agencies. Demonstrated proficiency with computer applications, including word processing, spreadsheet, and slide presentations required. Technical and practical knowledge of biotechnology, research and development and/or manufacturing is highly recommended, or a willingness to quickly become proficient is required.
- Ability to influence others without authority.
- Results oriented.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Anticipates needs and problems while creating solutions.
- Is curious, inquisitive, innovative, never satisfied with the status quo.
- Greets challenge and change as opportunity.
- Has courage and confidence to take risks and learn from mistakes.
- Inspires, motivates and collaborates with others.
- The ability to effectively shift priorities and work at a rapid pace required.
Many duties are performed while sitting at a desk or conference room, (e.g., operating a computer, using a telephone, or writing and analyzing data and/or reports, attending meetings). In addition, walking or standing is required for conducting inspections and EHS audits. Laboratory entry and donning of personal protective equipment will be required.
This position is not eligible for relocation benefits.
Life Technologies - 2 years ago