The Dedicated Support Engineer (DSE) is assigned to support some of SUSE's largest and most strategic customers or partners with post-implementation product support. A DSE will typically work on-site at partner/customer location.
This position is a full time Dedicated Support Engineer (DSE) who is assigned to support some of SUSE's largest and most strategic customers or partners with post-implementation product support. A DSE will typically work on-site at partner/customer location. SUSE offers a great working environment, competitive salary and full range of corporate benefits to employees.
- Form strong business relationships with the partner/customer at various levels throughout the organization.
- Be available 24x7 for the partner/customer. Primarily 5x12 for all issues and 24x7 for critical issues. Weekly pager responsibilities shared with other DSE's.
- Troubleshoot and provide accurate and timely resolution to partner/customer issues.
- Serve as partner/customer advocate within Novell by facilitating escalation of issues through appropriate internal organizations.
- Pro-actively identify issues by becoming familiar with partner/customer's technical and business environment while providing recommendations for resolution to these issues.
- Prevent partner/customer issues by reviewing their Novell environment regularly, report and correct issues per partner/customer requirements.
- Share knowledge by writing technical documents and pro-actively sending helpful technical information to partner/customer (upcoming patches, technical news, etc).
- Document and communicate work performed in provided systems and documents as requested.
- Deliver technical presentations and/or training to diverse audiences.
- Assist in the implementation of Novell products/solutions in line with specific conditions defined in partner/customer services SOW.
- Participation in projects and project management as requested by partner/customer or SUSE.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field or equivalent experience required.
- 5+ years IT/SUSE/Linux Services experience
- Position requires a strong sense of responsibility, self-motivation and the ability to prioritize and organize workload to complete multiple, simultaneous projects.
- Position requires flexibility and capacity to work across a variety of activities within a matrix and virtual organizational framework.
- Ability to appropriately handle tense/stressful customer situations regarding service outages and issue resolution.
- Able to influence both internal and external stakeholders
- The ability to work seamlessly across organizations and with other DSE's
- Strong knowledge and experience with SUSE Linux
- Ability to successfully participate in project work with potential to function as technical leader
- Ability to plan for and provide leadership in product upgrades and maintenance activities
- Must create strong relationship with customer, partner and internal SUSE team and deliver successful projects and quality technical support
Key Technical knowledge for customer infrastructure:
- Basic kernel crash dump debugging experience
- Nagios experience
- CUPS experience
- SUSE Autoyast deployment experience
- Basic Cisco switch experience
- Strong SUSE/Linux support or administration experience
- Strong shell scripting experience (bash, ksh)
- Program debugging skills (C, C++, shell scripts)
- Xen virtualization experience
- Heartbeat/Pacemaker high availability clustering
- Experience with multiple storage technologies: Hardware & Software RAID, LVM, DRBD, iSCSI, Fibre Channel, DASD, Multipath
- VLANs, bonding, bridging
- Linux OS performance tuning
- Familiar with multiple hardware platforms and their embedded management systems such as HP iLO, Dell DRAC, IBM RSA, IBM IMM
- Ability to travel as required.
- There will be times required to work outside of standard business hours.
Suse - 18 months ago
copy to clipboard
With more than 340 employees, SuSE Linux AG is one of the world's largest Linux specialists. Thanks to its stability and quality, SuSE Linux...