The Dedicated Support Engineer (DSE) is assigned to support some of SUSE's largest and most strategic customers or partners with post-implementation product support. A DSE will typically work on-site at partner/customer location.
This position is a full time Dedicated Support Engineer (DSE) who is assigned to support some of SUSE's largest and most strategic customers or partners with post-implementation product support. A DSE will typically work on-site at partner/customer location. SUSE offers a great working environment, competitive salary and full range of corporate benefits to employees.
- Form strong business relationships with the partner/customer at various levels throughout the organization.
- Be available 24x7 for the partner/customer. Primarily 5x12 for all issues and 24x7 for critical issues. Weekly pager responsibilities shared with other DSE's.
- Troubleshoot and provide accurate and timely resolution to partner/customer issues.
- Serve as partner/customer advocate within Novell by facilitating escalation of issues through appropriate internal organizations.
- Pro-actively identify issues by becoming familiar with partner/customer's technical and business environment while providing recommendations for resolution to these issues.
- Prevent partner/customer issues by reviewing their Novell environment regularly, report and correct issues per partner/customer requirements.
- Share knowledge by writing technical documents and pro-actively sending helpful technical information to partner/customer (upcoming patches, technical news, etc).
- Document and communicate work performed in provided systems and documents as requested.
- Deliver technical presentations and/or training to diverse audiences.
- Assist in the implementation of Novell products/solutions in line with specific conditions defined in partner/customer services SOW.
- Participation in projects and project management as requested by partner/customer or SUSE.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field or equivalent experience required.
- 5+ years IT/SUSE/Linux Services experience
- Position requires a strong sense of responsibility, self-motivation and the ability to prioritize and organize workload to complete multiple, simultaneous projects.
- Position requires flexibility and capacity to work across a variety of activities within a matrix and virtual organizational framework.
- Ability to appropriately handle tense/stressful customer situations regarding service outages and issue resolution.
- Able to influence both internal and external stakeholders
- The ability to work seamlessly across organizations and with other DSE's
- Strong knowledge and experience with SUSE Linux
- Ability to successfully participate in project work with potential to function as technical leader
- Ability to plan for and provide leadership in product upgrades and maintenance activities
- Must create strong relationship with customer, partner and internal SUSE team and deliver successful projects and quality technical support
Key Technical knowledge for customer infrastructure:
- Basic kernel crash dump debugging experience
- Nagios experience
- CUPS experience
- SUSE Autoyast deployment experience
- Basic Cisco switch experience
- Strong SUSE/Linux support or administration experience
- Strong shell scripting experience (bash, ksh)
- Program debugging skills (C, C++, shell scripts)
- Xen virtualization experience
- Heartbeat/Pacemaker high availability clustering
- Experience with multiple storage technologies: Hardware & Software RAID, LVM, DRBD, iSCSI, Fibre Channel, DASD, Multipath
- VLANs, bonding, bridging
- Linux OS performance tuning
- Familiar with multiple hardware platforms and their embedded management systems such as HP iLO, Dell DRAC, IBM RSA, IBM IMM
- Ability to travel as required.
- There will be times required to work outside of standard business hours.
With more than 340 employees, SuSE Linux AG is one of the world's largest Linux specialists. Thanks to its stability and quality, SuSE Linux...