LABORATORY TECH, SR FORENSIC
Starting salary is $11.46 – $18.27 per hour, commensurate within this range based on education and experience.
Main Campus (Gainesville)
If other work location
This is work conducting medical-legal death investigations for the District 8 Medical Examiner covering Alachua, Baker, Bradford, Dixie (by contract) Gilchrist, Levy, and Union Counties from the office located in Gainesville.
Investigates events surrounding the death of an individual under the authority of Chapter 406, Florida Statutes.
Reports events surrounding the death of an individual under the authority of Chapter 406, Florida Statutes.
- Reviews reported deaths to determine if jurisdiction applies,
- Responds to death scenes when necessary,
- Develops facts pertinent to the establishment of cause and manner of death,
- Transports human remains as required using an office vehicle,
- On-call duties are required as is the use of digital photographic equipment.
Assists Medical Examiners in the performance of autopsy by
- Reviews medical records,
- Maintains liaison with investigative agencies,
- Testifies in court when required.
- On-call duties are required.
Provides follow-up communications with families, funeral homes, and other interested parties on the progress of investigations.
- Moving and undressing human remains,
- Documenting with photography and written record the condition of evidence and the body, and
- Processing evidence and biological specimens as appropriate.
A high school diploma and four years of appropriate experience. Appropriate college coursework or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.
Health Assessment Required:
- Must be bondable.
- Bachelor’s degree in criminology or related field and a minimum of five years’ experience in a related investigative or funeral service field is preferred.
- Familiarity with medical terminology is preferred.
- Previous experience with investigative processes is also preferred.
Special instructions to applicants:
If you wish to claim veteran’s preference, please upload a copy of your DD.214.
This position is time-limited.
This is a repost of requisition number 0902253. Previous applicants are under consideration and need not apply.
Open Until Filled:
University of Florida UFL - 19 months ago