Kixeye is looking for a few good Systems Engineers to help us scale our social gaming platform to even larger sizes. We’re growing quickly, and we’re in need of extra hands to help us scale to the hundreds or thousands of machines that we’ll be running to keep our games the fastest and most reliable for our customer base. We’re based in San Francisco, and we prefer candidates who are able to be in the office for the intense and complex interactions with the development, operations, and customer service staff who will be working in close cooperation to help us succeed.
What you get to do every day:
The ideal candidate is:
- Manage and monitor hundreds of UNIX systems, and deploy new systems to add to the army
- Maintain security, backups, and redundancy strategies to ensure gameplay continuity in the face of man-made attacks and normal hardware/network failures
- Write and maintain custom scripts to increase system efficiency and lower the human intervention time on any tasks
- Monitor and test application performance for potential bottlenecks, identify possible solutions, and work with developers to implement those fixes
- Ensure projects move to production smoothly, create/assign issues to developers for issues that do occur in deployment
- Help maintain our application cluster through capacity planning and monitoring with application of updates when needed
What you bring to the role:
- Obsessive-compulsive about knowing their stuff
- Completely fascinated with the concept of running machines and systems that serve millions of users
- Personally invested in the systems that they build
- From a background in large database or gaming systems or similar markets
It would be great (but not mandatory) if you…
- Bachelor’s degree or a very convincing list of work that is relevant
- Wizard-level with CentOS/RHEL and/or Ubuntu/Debian systems
- Extensive knowledge of RAID hardware/software and high-reliability, high-throughput filesystems
- Configuration and debugging experience with the following software: Linux-HA, PHP, NGNIX, Apache, MySQL, memcached, Nagios/Munin
- Extensive skills with automation via scripting language (Perl, Ruby, shell scripts – your choice)
- Have Solaris experience (we’re always experimenting)
- Have more than a basic understanding of Cisco or Juniper configuration, switching & VLAN design
- Were a developer on a relevant open-source platform of some type
- Were a coder in C, C++, Java, or other higher-layer language for those really tough problems
- Not be afraid of identifying potential problems and creating solutions – we’re all really busy here, so you’ll be expected to be self-starting.
- Work well with others – it’s a small team of very talented people, and if you have a history of conflict with your co-workers or managers, this isn’t the place to extend that track record
- Have the ability to multi-task. Balancing a penchant for perfectionism with the practical issues of managing many simultaneous projects is a rare skill – do you have it?
- Have excellent communications skills. Your documentation habits are legendary. You speak concisely and are unafraid from voicing your opinions in a constructive way in a group.
- Be willing to put the extra effort in to make things happen. Some days (and nights) will involve long hours solving problems, or rolling out new games, and despite the pressure to perform there is a high level of pride in our work.
KIXEYE - 2 years ago
Founded in 2007, KIXEYE is an online gaming company that plays to win. Responsible for popular titles like Backyard Monsters, Battle Pirates...