Higher One Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: ONE) is a leading company focused on creating cost-saving efficiencies for higher education institutions and providing high-value services to students. Higher One offers a wide array of technological services on campus, ranging from streamlining the institution’s performance analytics and financial aid refund processes to offering students innovative banking services, tuition payment plans, and the basics of financial management. Higher One works closely with colleges and universities to allocate resources more efficiently in order to provide a higher quality of service and education to students.
Founded in 2000 on a college campus by students, Higher One now serves more than half of the higher education market, providing its services to over 1,250 campuses and 10.5 million students at distinguished public and private institutions nationwide.
At Higher One, we believe that every employee is critical to our success! Our innovative services depend on the energy, values, hard work and dedication of our employees. As we continue to grow, we look for others who are also committed to retaining a small-company feel while moving us to the next level!
Higher One’s Linux and VMware System Administrator can be domiciled at our New Haven, CT, Atlanta, GA, or Oakland, CA campus. This role is ideal for an independent, fast learning, and motivated individual who wishes to increase their knowledge and mastery of Linux and VMware System Administration, software engineering and open source applications. Initial responsibilities will include basic administration and support for linux and VMware environments. Additional responsibilities and projects will be added based on the speed and skill with which the first set of responsibilities is mastered. The more you learn the more fun stuff you’ll get to play with.
Day To Day Responsibilities
- Installation & administration of linux environments. (Red Hat, CentOS). Patching, account creation, upgrades, backups, etc
- Installation & administration of VMware environments
- Installation & administration of application software such as Apache, Joomla, Wordpress, Bugzilla, Mediawiki, Moodle, Openfire, MySQL, Jboss
- Issue resolution and troubleshooting for the linux environments and applications.
- Proactive monitoring of the VMware environments including planning for growth and upgrades.
- Any other random projects that involve a computer, a command line and lots of caffeine*
- Note: although it is highly recommended by many current employees, caffeine intake is optional.
- 3+ years experience (academic, professional or personal) with linux administration
- 3+ years experience (academic, professional or personal) with VMware administration
- Working knowledge of scripting and system automation (Perl, Bash, Awk, etc)
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills required.
- Good technical diagnostic expertise including problem investigation, reproduction, and resolution skills.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Has the ability to acquire new skills efficiently, and thrives in a collaborative team environment
Medical, Dental, Vision, Flex Spending, 401K, Life Insurance, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability
Flexible work hours
20 Paid Time Off Days per year
8 Holidays per year
Free Lunch - We have opened a full service cafeteria and hired and exec. chef and assistant chef that are making fresh soups, salads, hot and cold lunches for all employees each day
Free Fitness Center - 24 hour access to Higher One's onsite fitness center
Coffee Shop - enjoy a cup of coffee, espresso or cappuccino in the morning at Higher One's coffee shop in the lobby of our building, another great free perk to all employees
Come and discover why we are ranked #2 in Connecticut and #12 nationally as one of the best places to work for at medium sized companies!!!
Higher One - 16 months ago
The higher ambition at Higher One Holdings is to facilitate higher education payments. The company provides payment processing and...