Job Category: Software Engineering: User Experience
Location: Redmond, WA, US
Job ID: 827509-104467
Division: Interactive Entertainment Business
Microsoft‘s Interactive Entertainment Business delivers world class entertainment experiences you want with the people you care about wherever you are…
IEB Design (designers of Xbox) leads the design of entertainment experiences for customers worldwide. The entertainment experiences we create are for a diverse audience - from intense gamers to family timers - and are enjoyed in many contexts - TV, PC, Web and Mobile. We partner closely with IEB business and technology team members to envision, design, define, validate and deliver entertainment experiences that are effortless, intuitive, delightful and unified. IEB Design ensures that the entertainment experience our customers enjoy - from TV, to music, to games to video - is simply the best in the industry.
IEB Design is seeking an Experience Developer to join our team of producers, user researchers, and interaction, industrial, motion, visual, sensory, brand, and integration designers to help us reinvent entertainment led from the living room, powered by the cloud, and available across multiple screens. Your passion lies at the intersection of design, research, and engineering, and will bridge the gaps between these disciplines throughout the design process. You are a nimble engineer with keen design sensibilities and these combined talents give you a distinct point-of-view on software craftsmanship. You have experience interpreting designs into fully functional interactive experiences while prioritizing code elegance, efficiency, and long-term scalability. You produce precision design with attention to every detail of the user interface. You must have a clear understanding of each facet of the design process - information architecture + interaction design, research + usability, prototyping, visual + motion design, brand integration, and content creation - and demonstrate an ability to merge this with established and emerging engineering processes. You are a great creator, collaborator, and communicator. You have demonstrated ability to effectively partner with product planners and managers, program managers and development and test team members to shepherd end to end experiences from concept to ship. You have deep knowledge of natural user interface (NUI) paradigms and have demonstrable experience in crafting experiences with multiple input modalities. Candidates should excel in the implementation, production, and shipment of highly-polished user interfaces.
- Presentation layer UI prototyping and development synthesizing visual, motion, input & interaction design - across a diverse and rapidly evolving technology ecosystem
- Contribute technical expertise throughout all stages of product design and development: conceptual design, visual design language and motion personality, input language, UI platform & tools maturity, prototyping, and production
- Ownership of quality standards, process, schedule, costing, resources, training, and deliverables
- Offer alternatives when technology constraints require design compromises
- Help develop and refine UI pattern libraries and interaction guidelines
- Utilization of responsive design and emerging coding and design practices
- Bring a multidisciplinary point of view of product design to the conversation
- Effectively communicate with engineering and feature teams through all stages of design and development
- Identify development team dependencies and communicate those early and often
- Engage with UI platform teams to support design priorities through new features and tools
- 6+ years’ experience in UI development (desktop, web, devices), with an emphasis on design, user experience, and usability
- Demonstrated leadership qualities, strong UI development skills, excellent problem solving skills, the desire to innovate, and the ability to work well in a team environment
- Ability to react and respond positively to changing requirements based on design leadership feedback, usability tests, and executive review
- Experience working closely with designers solving complex usability and UI design problems
- Ability to navigate and immerse in new development technologies and craft new techniques and best practices
- Exposure to and understanding of a variety of design, project management, and development processes and methodologies including agile development methods
- Fluency in current entertainment and social media trends
- Proficiency in industry standard design and development tools: Visual Studio, Expression Blend, Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash (or related design/motion graphics production tools) WPF/Silverlight (XAML), Splash/UIX, MCML, XUI, HTML/XML, CSS, DHTML/ AJAX, scripting.
- Intermediate C# and/or C++, and development in a game engine.
- Experience with emerging input modalities and natural user interfaces (NUI) - touch, gesture, speech, etc.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Strong organizational skills and an attention to detail
Microsoft - 18 months ago
Microsoft Corporation develops, manufactures, licenses and supports a range of software products for computing devices. The Company's...