The American Institute of Certified Public Accountants is the national, professional association of CPAs, with approximately 386,000 members, including CPAs in business and industry, public practice, government, and education; student affiliates; and international associates. We set ethical standards for the profession and U.S. auditing standards for audits of private companies; federal, state and local governments; and non-profit organizations. We also develop and grade the Uniform CPA Examination.
Director - Communications
Please respond via our website at www.aicpa.org/careers and post your resume directly online with us.
The Director of Communications must demonstrate senior-level relationship management experience and be able to work in Washington, D.C. The Director of Communications will be responsible for producing and supporting the creation of high quality, timely, accurate and impactful materials sent to stakeholders, regulators and Member Firms. While the CAQ’s Executive Director is the primary spokesperson for the organization, the Director of Communications may be called to act as the spokesperson as well, especially as it pertains to the press.
Senior Director - Stakeholder Relations
- Quality orientation
- Execution orientation
- Problem solving
- Interpersonal acumen
- Communicating effectively, both written and verbal and including technical writing capabilities
- Forging synergy/teamwork
- Learning agility
- Strategic acumen/vision
Communications & Outreach (50%)
External Relations (30%)
- Develop communications and proactive outreach strategy to regularly educate and convey messages that advance the broad discourse about public company audit including:
- Develop and fine-tune messages and themes, and all communications materials coming from the CAQ, including talking points, speeches, presentations, etc.
- Lead and manage a media relations and educational campaign, focusing on key opinion-leading reporters, editors, producers, columnists, editorial boards
- Conceive of, develop, and implement webcasts, panels, guides, and other tools used for educational and collaborative purposes
- Oversee Internet-based communication, including the CAQ’s Website
- Develop and oversee paid media campaigns aimed at educating and conveying particular core principles, processes or issue areas related to the external audit and financial reporting
- Manage a media response mechanism
- Facilitate a centralized media mechanism to help Member Firms’ communications directors coordinate and exchange ideas about positioning and public policy-related communications
- Develop and execute media strategies and comprehensive communications plans that advance the CAQ and its agenda in order to:
- Position the CAQ, largely in the area of public company audit quality and value
- Maximize the impact of tools, materials and activities of the CAQ through effective release and follow up
CAQ In-House Communications Expert (20%)
- Work closely with the stakeholder relations team to develop and maintain relationships with certain key CAQ stakeholders, including trade, national and consumer press.
- Manage media relations, announcements, editorial placement, and speaking opportunities.
- Work with and supervise outside public relations agencies and consultants.
- Serve as in-house expert and resource for communications and publications.
- Assist with a variety of CAQ activities, including:
- Develop key messages and provide editorial direction and content for CAQ initiatives, such as forward-looking initiatives aimed at the continued evolution of the profession
- Contribute to positioning papers
- Employ qualitative and quantitative research for messaging, benchmarking and other purposes.
- Contribute to level of understanding of evolving role of public accounting profession by the capital markets.
- Improve quality, coherence and impact of the dialogue between stakeholders and the profession (via the CAQ).
- Effectively distill technical content to key elements that are easily understood by general audiences.
- Positive feedback from stakeholders on collaborative approaches.
- High quality and error-free work produced.
- Proactive engagement with the press and other media resources.
- Number and quality of opportunities to participate in the public dialogue on issues important to the CAQ.
- Amount/volume of work performed, overseen or led.
- Bachelors degree in Communications, Public Policy, Business Administration, Political Science or Public Relations; advanced degree a plus.
- 10+ years experience in public policy communications or public affairs, preferably with a mix of experience in both public and private organizations (i.e., federal agencies, associations, corporations, public relations agencies) with emphasis on:
- Strategic communications planning and advice
- Building and managing all elements that comprise effective communications campaigns
- Public relations crisis communications management
- Message and platform development
- Thorough working knowledge of:
- How external stakeholders consume information
- Media platforms, their target audience and potential reach
- Ability to think strategically and create multi-faceted communications programs with compelling content/messages.
- Experience exploring and implementing new and innovative channels of communication
- Ability to derive meaningful insights about external stakeholders, including relevant issues and concerns
- A proven track record of devising strategies and executing events/initiatives that have generated media coverage.
- Strong working knowledge of the media, extensive established media contacts, and demonstrated ability to interface effectively with them at the national and grassroots levels.
- Track record developing and leveraging relationships with key members of the press and communicating regularly to build understanding, educate them on organizational initiatives and demonstrate importance to diverse stakeholder communities.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- A can-do attitude and strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively and work collaboratively within the CAQ, as well as with its members, Board of Directors, Governing Body, and other key constituencies.
Please respond via our website at www.aicpa.org/careers and post your resume directly online with us. You can upload your resume and cover letter directly via our website.
- Current and relevant knowledge of:
- Capital markets issues, trends, stakeholders and dynamics
- US political climate, issues, trends, stakeholders and dynamics
- Global landscape of the Public Accounting Profession and economic/regulatory environments
Equal Employment Opportunity
AICPA is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other applicable legally protected status. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.