IMVU, Inc. ( http://www.imvu.com ) is an online social game where members use 3D avatars to meet new people, chat, create and play games with their friends. IMVU has reached 10 0 million registered users, 5 + million unique visitors per month and a $50+ million annualized revenue run rate. IMVU has the world's largest virtual goods catalog of more than six million items, almost all of which are created by its own members. IMVU is available in multiple languages on both Windows PC and Mac platforms, and for mobile users via its IMVU 2Go iPhone application, available in the Apple App Store.
IMVU has been recognized frequently, including Best Place to Work for the past 3 years, Inc. 500/5000, 8th fastest growing private tech company in Silicon Valley over the past 3 years, and 87th fastest growing tech company in North America over the past 4 years.
Founded in 2004, IMVU is backed by venture investors Menlo Ventures, Allegis Capital, Bridgescale Partners and Best Buy Capital and is located in Mountain View, CA. IMVU has been profitable since 2009.
So, what will you do ?
Building and maintaining software and systems to run IMVU's production services.
Constantly make process improvements to increase the overall efficiency of the team and enable the business
IMVU team members are involved in every facet of IMVU's production services (Website and IM Client). From design issues to troubleshooting, from performance analysis to capacity planning, from DNS to networking to application misbehavior.
IMVU technical operations engineers are ultimately responsible for making sure that IMVU always works and we take that responsibility very seriously.
Solve technically challenging and non-trivial problems that touch several different internal systems.
Working in the IMVU operations team, you will wear many hats for IMVU's entire production site: first responder, performance analyst, service architect, system/database administrator, capacity planner, tools developer, monitoring expert, and technical evangelist.
- Must be willing to take 24/7 on-call duty for a week or more at a time where you will be the designated first responder to all production issues. Please do not apply for this position if you are unable to meet this requirement.
- Must be local or willing to relocate.
- Ability to lift up-to 50 pounds and willing to occasionally travel to our co-location facility in Oakland, CA for scheduled and unscheduled maintenance.
- 3-7 years of solid experience dealing with 24/7 network operations.
- Must be extremely familiar with some flavor of the GNU/Linux Operating system (Preferably Debian or Ubuntu )
- Must have a good understanding of the UNIX Shell including but not limited to the shell built-ins and most commonly used commands.
- We are mostly a PERL and BASH shop, so should be very comfortable coding with at-least one of them (e.g. writing scripts from scratch) and should be able to read the other and make changes to existing code.
- Good understanding of TCP/IP protocol suite and general network administration skills.
- General Database administration experience (preferably MySQL).
- Experience with some form of monitoring and alerting systems (e.g. cacti, nagios) including writing custom plug-ins.
MySQL database experience including replication (Master-Master, Master-Slave(s)), backups, recovery, monitoring, data migration, performance tuning, and commonly used storage engines like InnoDB, MyISAM, Merge, Heap, etc.• Experience with running large scale production clusters ( 500+ nodes )
Foundry Networking devices like FastIron and ServerIron.
Good engineering / software development skills.
SOLR/Lucene search server.
Ubuntu packaging and Preseeding.
Cfengine or other configuration management software.
MogileFS or other large distributed file systems.
Automated OS / software package deployment.
Excellent oral and written communication skills.
How to apply:
Please join IMVU & play around before you apply. We'd like you to understand our products and work environment.
Please include a cover letter. Make sure to discuss why you are interested in learning more about IMVU. Job applications without cover letters will not be considered.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
IMVU is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.