JOB SUMMARY: The site Assistant works under the direction and supervision of the Site Lead YDS and provides direct guidance to and supervision of the children in care at the Academy Unit. The YDS must be on-site during scheduled hours when the site is open during the school year or summer hours or as otherwise scheduled by the Lead Academy Teacher.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: Other duties may be assigned
• Assist the Lead YDS and Lead Academy Teacher in maintaining and improving the quality of care.
• Assist Site Coordinator in daily operations of program
• Maintain compliance with licensing requirements
• Supervisory responsibilities as detailed below
• Build relationships with the host community through various projects for the program
• Supervise, care for, and discipline children in care, following all rules and procedures
• Assist with daily operations of site as outlined by the Lead Academy Teacher, to include ensuring that attendance is recorded and parents are contacted if children are absent and site has not been notified.
• Assist with each day’s activities by setting up and getting out necessary supplies and assist with/ensure proper clean up at the end of each session
• Communicate with families, including providing program information and student updates
• Participate in local, county, state, and national activities (meetings, trainings, conferences and fundraisers) designed to improve the Before/After SchoolUnit
• Attend all Before/After School Unit Staff Meetings
• Perform other duties as necessary for the success of the program
• Responsible for school entrance keys while in your possession. If lost, a $30 fine is applicable.
• Responsible for Site Cell Phone while in your possession. If lost, a $50 fine is applicable.
When hired, the following steps are taken with each staff person:
• Three references are provided and contacted
• Must have a criminal background search, which includes fingerprinting, done within 14 days of hire
• Must have name screened against the South Dakota Department of Social Services Central Registry. (The Registry is a listing of all individuals who have substantiated reports of child abuse or neglect including those investigated by the Department of Social Services and those that include a court case.) No staff member or volunteer will have a substantiated report of child abuse and neglect.
• Must read and sign a statement that defines child abuse and neglect and outlines the staff member’s responsibility to report all suspected and confirmed child abuse or neglect
• Before the individual works unsupervised with children, the individual is provided orientation to make them familiar with all aspects of our program’s operation.
• Staff must complete at least 10 hours of training annually.
South Dakota State Government - 19 months ago